Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro clutch pedal 'free play'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, May 2, 2006.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a hydro clutch in my 1974 K10 a couple years back. It was a great swap! When I did the swap, the master cylinder and slave cylinder were both in 'used' condition, neither were new, but everything worked fine. Due to working conditions (and the price of gas) I don't drive the truck very frequently anymore, but when I do, I noticed something.

It seems the amount of pedal 'free play' has drastically increased, meaning I can push it in a good three inches before encountering any resistance, whereas before it was only an inch or so. The fluid level in the master cylinder hasn't dropped, so it's not losing fluid. The slave cylinder is very close to the header, but there is a heat shield around the slave cylinder.

My question is this: Which cylinder is probably going bad, the slave or master (they were both in used shape, no idea of mileage)? I'm guessing I should just replace them both for peace of mind, but how does one determine which is bad? Thanks Fellas!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Can you hold the clutch in..I mean does the pressure you do get fade out if you hold it in fer a bit? If it does then Master for sure, if not then prolly slave but like you said probly should swap both out...
    Good Luck
    Burt

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

mine does the same thing.....
    I Know on a mechanical setup you are supposed to have some " TOE PLAY ".. not sure how much.. but mine is like this and it is fine.... :crazy:

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

It still seems to work fine, and it does hold pressure, even I hold the clutch pedal to the floor for awhile (like leaving it in gear at a stoplight with the clutch depressed). It's just that the 'operating travel' has decreased, and the 'free play' travel has increased...