Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro clutch problems help me info added with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Dec 19, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have swaped a 79 mech system out for a 87 hydro system. i fired up the truck and it sounded like the motor wanted to blow up. found the older style clutch pressure plate was hitting the fork. now i have to pull all again and swap to a 87 style clutch. what the hell ??? is there something i have missed ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah i have always heard that the mech forks are diff than the hydro ones. i never knew what it caused though. im using a hydro fork with a mech setup:confused:

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what style pressure plate is on it, diaphram or 3 finger? never heard of the pressure plate hitting the fork with either style.

the mechanical clutch fork is stepped foward. the hydro fork is flat in comparison. with the hydro fork on the mech step, you just need a longer rod from the z bar to the fork.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

that's what i figured, cuz i had to find some obscure ass pushrod to operate my setup:haha:

so the mech fork is stepped forward inside the BH as well?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Its just bent some to make up the differance...

6. sweetk30

i looked at napa online and the style clutch pressure plate. it looks like 3 finger and it was working great on the old mech system so i left it.

i got a used hydro bell and master fluid resivor and line. then new hydro fork dealer and new pivot ball dealer and new master and slave . blead all out. had pedel. then it was gone next day. so far i have found bad slave. bleader hole not made 100% and now broken. possible master as i dont get any real flow out of hose.

i looked in bell boot hose with boot out and the fork is riding on the pressure plate. its cliped on bearing fine and on piviot ball fine.

7. big83chevy4x4

do you have the right bearing? i know they are longer on the 3 finger than the diaphram style.

inside the bell should be the same as far as the fork goes. if it didn't hit on the mech, it shouldn't hit on the hydro.

8. sweetk30

well i reused the bearing for the old stuff as it was good and no noises. and the old stuff didnt hit like this. i checked napa #s and it called for stock part #s the same bearing in 79 as in 85-87 hydros .

9. big83chevy4x4

hmmm, where exactly on the fork is it hitting?
    you said you got a new pivot ball. could it be the wrong part and too long?

10. sweetk30

well found out 100% not to run 3 finger with hydro parts. need the thinner stock style pressure plate. 3 finger to tall and hits the fork.

took pics of the forks together and wow what a diffrence. also measured the bell housing to top of piviot ball stud. both same distance in to bell.

hydro clutch 001.jpg

hydro clutch 005.jpg

hydro clutch 008.jpg

hydro clutch 010.jpg

hydro clutch 011.jpg

11. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

what is a hydro fork??? (Wanting to learn a little)

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is a clutch for that is used with the hydraulic slave cylinder to actuate the clutch vice a mechanical linkage.

Ira

13. sweetk30

we have clutch now. :bow: :wink1: :D

the 3 finger pressure plate is 1" taller than stock style plate. all new clutch kit with cut/finished flywheel is installed and driven with no problems and of noises. i have room to fit my finger in the space of the fork to plate now.

hope this info helps someone else out. i now have learned the hard way about 150 bucks worth with my shop price discounts on parts that hydro dont liky 3 finger style. :eek1: :doah: :D

14. sweetk30

had a small issue with clutch pedel freeplay and working. best way i found was gravity blead it. close it and let it sit over night. now i have perfect clutch pedal.

15. sweetk30

well i have tryed to drive it a few times. today i needed gas and wanted to drive it to the station. well 1/2 way there no clutch pedel. then 1/2 clutch pedel. then if it site more than 2 min i have nice firm clutch pedel. then after 1-2 uses no real pedel anymore.

what the heck is going on with this hydro setup? i have vac blead it and gravity blead it.

what am i doing wrong. or missing.

16. big83chevy4x4

sounds like your getting air into the master cylinder either threw the line from the reservoir, or the little oring at the plastic fitting going into the MC.

it could also be a bad MC, but it doesn't sound like mine when mine went out. i had nothing, it would pump up and hold it, by the end of the day, my leg was killing me from all the pumping to get the clutch to disenguage so i could stop or go(playing on the dunes).

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

When you vacuum bleed the system you also have to do it backwards... put a line on the bleeder screw on the slave into a clean bottle of brake fluid then attach the vaccum bleeder to the input on the master. If you try to go the other direction with the vaccum bleeder on the bleeder screw you never get all the air out of the master.