Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Apr 29, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i did a search looking for some info, and couldnt find what i needed, im putting a sm465 out of an 81 blazer into a 71 blazer, and would like to know what trucks have the hydro setup that would work, and exactly what parts i need off of it from the junk yard /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ps. the truck is automatic now. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

85-87 trucks, you need the pedals, master cylinder, resevoir, hose, slave cylinder, bellhousing, and support rods.

total PITA to do the swap, but DEFINITELY worth it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did this today /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. 1985+ hydro clutch setup. Need, bellhousing, throwout fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, and that should be it. I did it today. Pulled the bellhousing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, and hose as one piece, didn't disconnect anything. Easier that way. Its all going in a 1985, that was auto previouslly. I don't find it too much of a pain, hardest part is getting the trans out then taking time puting it back in. To get it out I wrapped a rope around the adapter, took it out the back of the truck and just YANKED.

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, im gunna hit the junk yard tomarow...any idea how much this setup goes for? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mine was $75 I was amazed at it being that cheap, not sure if thats norm.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

75 is cheap and a great deal because they are harder and harder to find....
    I had to pay 350 for my entire setup... but the bellhousing was primo and cleaned and painted... make sure you check the threads carefully as the bellhousings are aluminum and can get munged up by junkyard monkeys...also there are several types of rebuild kits for the slave and master... some are better than others... there was just a thread on that a week or two ago
    It is important, so Im told , to get the hydro master in the correct place on the firewall..., so before you drill make sure its where its supposed to be....
    Im waiting for a part and then Ill be doing the conversion to my 81 k5....hooray /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    good luck
    cam

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Need, bellhousing, throwout fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, and that should be it

[/ QUOTE ]

the pedal would help to

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Can't you modify the linkage type pedal? That is, if swapping from linkage to hydro, not automatic to hydro.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm making my own pedal crap. I fab everything else, not skeered of doing it. The pedal is just a big piece of metal that swings and the master cylinder just mounts to with a clip.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am currenty modifying my 72 to Hydro.
    Now I already have a SM465 in my K5 I am mearly swapping from manual linkage to hydro.
    Parts I bought are:
    87 Clutch Master Cylinder from Napa
    Toyota LC Slave cylinder from Napa( think I said 87 for the year also but they came out earlier than that)
    Master cylinder resivor and cap from Chevy Parts
    Advance Adapter Slave mounting bracket to fit my CastIron Bell
    Advance adapter Hydro hose (needed an adapter/reducer from Master out to hose in, got it from local speed shop)

Things I made:
    Master Resavor mounting bracket
    Hole in cluth pedal
    Hole in firewall
    Slave Clyinder push rod

I think that is it.
    I like using all new parts so this project was about $180

Hope this helps
    Burt

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't you modify the linkage type pedal? That is, if swapping from linkage to hydro, not automatic to hydro.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably could, but I certainly wouldn't. Just get the right pedals. There are some pretty significant differences.

I didn't want to pull out my column again to replace that stuff, but I ended up doing it anyway.

12. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie at all this tranny schtuff, so please forgive me, but what is the difference between a clutch linkage and a hydro clutch? From my 'mechanical intuition' I would guess that the linkage is purely mechanical, and a rougher shift, and the hydro-clutch is hydrolic (duh) and provides a smoother shift. Can anybody tell me if I'm in the right ballpark, or explain them a little better in depth? I too am planning on going from an auto to a manual in the next couple of days...
    Thanks!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Has nothing to do with the type of shift. There is far less pedal effort required with the hydro clutch--but the main advantage is that a rubber hose cannot bind up like the mechanical linkage does when you're all crossed up.

Even when I was all twisted up here, my clutch still worked great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

Before, it wouldn't have even got half that far before it quit working and bound up on me.

14. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

ohhhhh, so much for 'mechanical intuition'/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for me the mechanical shifts better, the hydraulic shifts harder. Reason for this? I'm an idiot. My 84 K5 I used to speed shift like mad, had full mechanical clutch setup. I could get back on the gas when the clutch was only half way back out. Do that on my Suburban and you realize you messed up when that clutch engages and you are already spinning 3000 RPMs. Oh well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Will be fun on the K5 with the 5.13s and a 355 that is finally tuned like it should have been since day one.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only reason you're saying that is that you can feel the clutch engage much better with mech clutch than hydro.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nothing like the feedback through a mechanical. I'm going hydro but not saying I'm entirely happy about it, more of a neccessity thing.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't miss mine at all.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ditto to that
    it is a direct a connection as the mech linkage
    there is no downside only upside