Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brady, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Ok.I am building a '79CJ-5(I know,I know!).Anyway I put a SB Chevy in with a 465 and 205.I want to run a Hydro clutch,I assume 85-87 Chevy will work,right?How does the slave cylinder bolt to the trans in these rigs.Is the slave a pusher or puller?Thanks for any info. Brady

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It takes a special bell housing but I believe it is set up to push the lever that actuates the clutch. unless you get the kind that is internal to the bellhousing which can make a mess out of the clutch in the event of a failure and is not desireable.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Kenny is correct...You need the hydro bellhousing or an adapter from AA...ZThe master cyl. mounts on the firewall and the slave mounts on the bell in such a way that the fluid enters from the front of the vehile and the pushrod that activates the clutch fork... The slave is held in the bell by two threaded stud from the slave and held on bu 2 nuts...pretty damn simply hydraulic system and it is soo sweet..The pedal feel on my K5 is amazing..it is so light, even with the Centerforce DF clutch...

Chris

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Fortcollinsram,Which do you have and do you have any pics.I was planning on building a bracket myself.Thanks Brady /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. fortcollinsram

I got picked up the hydro bellhousing along with the pedal assemble...I don't have pics, but MJ has some of the master mount and a diagram of the bellhousing ans slave mount I believe...PM him and he can provide the link...You could probably pick up the bellhousing at a yard for like 15 bucks or so...

Chris

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

so what about the pedals? will the mech. pedals work or do ya have to have the hydro ones?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

use all the factory hydro parts, it is much easier and they are cheap at a wreckers

8. fortcollinsram

Um...I think the mech. ones wil work...but you will have to drill a hole in the proper location of the master cylinder pushrod...If you send me a PM tomorrow, I will try to get under there and measure it for you...But the hole has to be the correct distance from the pivot so the pedal travel to clutch fork travel ratio stays within spec...otherwise, you could find yourself with leaky MC's and SC's and or a clutch that doesn't release all the way...

Chris

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thanks mj. will do fortcollinsram

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of the 454 that is going in my 69. This engine/hydraulic setup came out of an 89 1 ton.

[​IMG]

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It is much easier with Hydraulic pedals. It is possible with regular pedals. The hard part is lining up the inclination of the master cylinder to the arc of the pedal travel. If it is off a little bit, you will ruin your master cylinder.

I have the hydraulic pedals on my '73. I have setup the hydro clutch on my friends '72. I got the arc right, but the through is REALLY short (and heavy) on his '72 Blazer.

12. I to am looking at a hydro set up and think that the best way for me is to find a donor truck(possibly from a scrap yard). So what trucks do I start looking for, do they have to have a 465 and what years came with the correct set up.

13. Nice setup but I have some brand new stamp steel crome vavle covers that would look good on that big block and I'll make you a good deal on them /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I ran into a set of factory aluminum covers befor I put the crome on.