Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Locked engine? Water down the intake>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hello CK5.
    My buddy blasted thru some water with no inner fender wells and tons of water got into his engine via the intake.

How do you recover from this?
    Pull plugs
    Change oil

What else has to be done???

Thanks
    Burt

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy crap ya scared me i thought it was your engine :eek1:
    what you listed is what you do, but he might have cause alot of internal damage, bent push rods, broken connecting rods and the like.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hehhee...Not me. I only got water in my Dist. heheee
    It was hot and we couldn't avoid playing in the water :rolleyes:

so assuming everything is good after the plugs are pulled do you crank it over wout plugs? Do you have to pull the oil pan?

Any tips/tricks on how to dry out the inside would be great :D

Later
    Burt

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was it running and it died or just stopped running cause it got wet. If it was running then went like clunk he is probally stuck, if it just died cause it got really wet pull the plugs and crank it over. It would be really hard to get water in the oil unless it was flooded and sitting in the water. But it couldn't hurt to change that either.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know the noise answer? I'll find out.
    Basically he blasted true about a foot of water 10ft long sending rossters sky high. Then it died.
    When he popped the hood his stock aircleaner, lid upside down exposing the paper filter, was filled with water. He took off the filer and pulled the truck onto the trailer w/ the winch. Now he is trying to fix it today and isn't sure exactly what to do before he trys to start it so here I am...hhehee

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya just pull the plugs and crank it, if it cranks all the internals should"should" be fine, it will blow all the water out of the holes, than start it up, and i would replace the opil after it warms up.
    I have heard that pouring a little disel fuel in teh oil after this happens helps to susspend any water in teh oil and getts it out all at once, but i cant confirm that

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

prolly just water logged carb, shouldnt have got in to engine. oil change and blow water out of carb. check dist for moisture

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

DRUNK GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woot: :woot:

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep!!!! That's the way!!!! :D :D
    Trany fuild works too.

LOL....Water logged carbs... :haha: :haha: :doah: :confused:

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Give it to the Drunk guy.......
    Did Fred do this..

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd pull the plugs and turn it over as the others say. But I would change the oil after this and not run it until you change the oil.... As long as it died really quick after the water entered, you should be fine.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup it is the DrunkGuy's Blazer (Fred).
    We were screwin around out at LaGrange yesterday. Never been there and wanted to check it out. It's a small quarry type place, nothing extream but still fun.
    Thanks Guys I will pass the info along...
    Burt

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The real question is this... Would the starter crank the engine after it died?

If yes, then the engine didn't hydrolock and things will probably be OK.

If no, then at least one cylinder has water in it and won't let the piston rise to the top of the cylinder. That is typically a VERY bad thing. It causes tremendous stress on the connecting rod. I've seen the rod exit the engine immediately and I've also see it wait until 30 seconds after the engine is started the next time (after drying it out). Mine exited immediately... :rolleyes:

Pull all the plugs and stand back as the engine is cranked over with the starter. If there is water inside it will be coming out at high speed. Put the plugs back in, start the engine and see if it is knocking. If it is, SHUT IT DOWN!!!! One blip of the throttle is usually enough to ventilate the block, making a bad situation worse. If it's knocking, the only solution is a tear down to replace the damaged parts. :(

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Harry, Fred didn't answer his phone so I don't know how far he is now or if any noises are heard. I hope his 396 is ok. I guess I'll find out later...
    Burt

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i get a dozen of these a year or so.... usually a couple pretzeled rods outta the bunch..

its called pickleing a motor when you revive it from sucking water... hmmm, how would you spell the verb form of pickle? anyways, as everyone said pull plugs and spin over... i like to throw a squirt of Marvel in the cylinders after that and give it a couple cranks before putting the plugs back in...

absolutely change the oil.. if it was in the cylinders, some went past the rings. if carbed, its good to pull it and dump it so your certain none is in the bowl from the vent... also a good idea to CRC, WD40, etc the dizzy weights if its gotten wet.. it'll be fine for awhile but its amazing the corrosion you'll find in em down the road...

glad it wasn't that fine motor of yours... :D

16. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I noticed at BF that that is how Fred had his air cleaner. Just from the description of what happend I would guess that the engine will be fine. Usually when an engine gets ruined it's from deep water(and lots of it). Good luck to him :thumb:

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Guys..And Fred says THanks Too!
    It started up just fine.
    He said when he cranked it over with the plugs out, water shot out accross the driveway and nailed the side of the house hahahahaaa. He was able to get it dry, used marvel mystery oil and what he called 'ether' not too sure what that was but hell it runs again so all is fine now.. :bow:

Have a great day all
    Burt :D

18. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hehehe, i read this post too late..
    When we were in pismo probably 5 years ago, my friend robert tried to cross the stream at high tide in his little 2wd toyota. He followed my path through some deep ass water, and when i looked back he was stuck in the middle of the stream!
    Someone yanked him out, then we pulled the plugs and cranked over the motor. It shot water out the spark plug holes like 20 feet onto the side of some dudes truck parked next to us. :haha: After that we put the plugs back in and had to crank it for like a minute before it would finally start..
    When it came to life then we could hear it. CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK! serious rod knock. hydro locking an engine is no bueno. i learned that first hand. If you suck water in the motor hydrolocking it, and then try to start it again, It will bend rods.
    Then we got to rent a uhaul truck and tow dolly to get his toyota home. :rolleyes:
    Glad to hear everything turned out okay.