Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro or electric? winch poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, May 4, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Alright, I know that the Hydrolic winches are not so wanted cause they don't work when the truck dies, but here are my options..... Lets just say for Hypothetical speaking I could get everything for free, Price not important....

Option 1) Mount 9000 LB Hydrolic winch on front bumper, Have spare electric 9500 lb winch on multimount, with 3" reciever front and rear......

Option 2) Just mount Electric 9500 lb winch on bumper and deal if need to be pulled backwards.........

OPtion 3) Mount Hydrolic on front permantly and electric on rear permanantly.....

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

put electric on multi-mount
    give me your free hydro winch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

option 1.

or if you dont mind hauling a 9k lb hydro winch around, make that multi mount too

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

going multimount only sucks for big obsticles.... I need something permenant!

Any bennies I'm not aware of to the hydro over the electric?

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

just curious, how would you multi-mount a hydro winch?
    you need hydro lines with quick connectors to make it work, that could get messy

Batman, what not use electric multi-mount? You can put it on the front or back and just leave it "permanently" on the front.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First, Multi mounts do terrable things for your aproach angle!!! Second, They tend to be easily stolen and not nearly as reliable for heavy use! Pulling myself off a high center, or unburing my tires out of mud, yeh, but not hanging on a waterfall, or wrenching it sideways as the rig tips overand I use it to set myself straight! Multimounts have there uses, but not for all the time, and personally I would never mount a hydro on one do too quick disconnect expense and air in lines and on on on on..... ANyway, I like the input, but I still haven't heard any pluses or minuses to hydro or electric.... THanks for the replies though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

hydro on the front, PTO on the rear, electric on multi /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif?!?!?

I like my hydro for michigan conditions. it can take alot of abuse. but the electric might be better if you want something quick for rocks, etc.

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of the hydro in the front and electric on multi mount. I'm considering that myself when I get some cash... after I buy new tires, a lift, 1 ton axles, lockers, body armor, bumpers, a roll cage, a soft top, and new seats of course! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hydro doesnt care about air in the lines from quick couplers it all gets sorted out in the reservior.
    MM steering one may be different
    the 40000# winches I have run were quick coupled
    if you build a hydro setup you can make it as fast as you want by matching pump size to motor size
    you can winch for a loooong time under full load before you overheat the fluid
    if you use a manual valve you have better control of winch speed
    no electric motor will have the power of your engine turning a hydro pump

10. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PTO!!!!!!

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Auto transmission!!!!!!!!!

I like PTOs as much as you all, but AT is the problem! I could use a bigger pump instead of the stock one, but I'm conserned with plowing up the stock brake booster and steering gear box, not to mention the lines going to each! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

On my set-up I built a dual multi-mount into the front and rear bumper. This way i do not lose anything on my approach and departure angles. The pump I used is a dual stage unit. It puts out 16 GPM at low pressures so you can pull in the cable fast and goes to 4 GPM when it hits 950 psi. It can handle 4000 psi and 4000 rpm. http://www.haldexbarnes.com/products/GCHiLow.htm
    You get the best of both worlds, hi speed and heavy pull. And the best part about these pumps is that they can handle 4000 rpm, so you can try driving out of the hole at the same time and not worry about burning-up the pump.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

There was this guy in 4WOR that had a PTO driven winch mounted in his box that had a 100,000lb pull. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? An np205 has PTO capabilities /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Besides.... many towtrucks run an underhood pump. The one I saw was on a '98 3500HD w/6.5L diesel. They had simply removed the idler from where the AC compressor would normally sit and installed the pump there.

15. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Hey Xtreme

you have more info on that setup? I am very interested. how much did it all cost you, does it run a milemarker or some other winch, how is it hooked up, any pics?

sorry about the hijack.

16. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

I picked-up this winch http://www.bloommfg.com/products/cw1200.asp from a wrecking yard and the pump was a rebuilt unit. The valves are solenoide operated units. I used quick disconnects in front and back. I don't know the total cost of all of it because it was purchased over a periode of 2 years.
    No pics yet. Digital camera is one of my next purchases.

17. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I picked-up this winch http://www.bloommfg.com/products/cw1200.asp from a wrecking yard and the pump was a rebuilt unit. The valves are solenoide operated units. I used quick disconnects in front and back. I don't know the total cost of all of it because it was purchased over a periode of 2 years.
    No pics yet. Digital camera is one of my next purchases.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do these run off the transfer case of the engine???

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, the PTO ones run off of a seperate "driveshaft" on the tranny that only certain trannies have. The hydraulic one run off of pressurized oil coming from a pump on the engine. The electric ones...well I think you get that... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pretty common to run a pump off the PTO.
    useless in our application but common in industrial

20. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

No reason that you cant use a PTO with an auto. Just use a PTO off the t-case. Assuming your t-case has one.

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]

I like PTOs as much as you all, but AT is the problem! I could use a bigger pump instead of the stock one, but I'm conserned with plowing up the stock brake booster and steering gear box, not to mention the lines going to each! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]