Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 31, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

As usual, I have been getting confused over things on here. So as usual, I must ask. What is hydro steer, and what does it do? Also what are the disadvantages/advantages of having it.
    Secondly what is hydro assist? What does it do? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of using it.

I hope I got these terms right. Confused /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks 'oh smart ones /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hydro steering is full hydraulic. There is no steering box, or draglink. There is a ram mounted on the tie-rod that does all the steering. Not approved for on-road use really I think it's kinda slow.

Hydro assist is your normal crossover steering setup with a ram mounted to the tie-rod. You tap into your steering box to power the ram, and it works in conjunction with your normal steering. Safe to use for daily driver.

Somebody else will chime in or just try to search for "hydro" /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Keep in mind that with full hydro there is absolutely no mechanical connection between the wheels and the steering wheel, and that is why it's just too scary for road use.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Would full hydro be good for my blazer, it won't see pavement, besides the driveway, and it will be used mostly in mud, and some rocks? I am trying to plan out what I need for the build up. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You've got a long way to go before you talk about hydraulic steering. Worry about other things long before that.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You've got a long way to go before you talk about hydraulic steering. Worry about other things long before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Full-hydro he won't have to worry about his steering box ripping off his frame /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Chris

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

around these parts there are more full hydro steering vehicles running around the roads than you can shake a stick at!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With Full-hydro he won't have to worry about his steering box ripping off his frame /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah trust me it's been seriously considered!!!

9. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep in mind that with full hydro there is absolutely no mechanical connection between the wheels and the engine, and that is why it's just too scary for road use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, what? As far as I know, my stock steering isn't mechanically linked to my engine.... Maybe I'm missing some pieces?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Keep in mind that with full hydro there is absolutely no mechanical connection between the wheels and the engine, and that is why it's just too scary for road use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, what? As far as I know, my stock steering isn't mechanically linked to my engine.... Maybe I'm missing some pieces?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grr...typo. I meant between the steering wheel and the wheels. dunno how I typed that out.

11. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grr...typo. I meant between the steering wheel and the wheels. dunno how I typed that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God. Thought I was piloting a death trap there for a minute /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes I know, I'm just planning out so I know later after I get everything built up if I want it or not, so I don't put money towards something that isn't needed. I'm just filling my brain with information for the future. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Full hydro is great for the trails. My jeep has full hydro. I need to drill out the fitting in the back of the pump to increase the turning speed. As far as on road use, I don't know, there are other things beside steering that make me not want to drive mine down the road at high speeds. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The downside is if you blow a line or have a leak, you lose all steering with no fluid in it. I had this happen recently, it's no fun trying to get off a rock trail with no steering. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Luckily mine was just a leak, so we could keep adding fluid to get it off the trail.

The good thing about it is, You can turn the wheels easier, even when jammed against rocks, and you can use the steering to move the front end over if you need to.

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Full hydro is great for the trails. My jeep has full hydro. I need to drill out the fitting in the back of the pump to increase the turning speed. As far as on road use, I don't know, there are other things beside steering that make me not want to drive mine down the road at high speeds. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The downside is if you blow a line or have a leak, you lose all steering with no fluid in it. I had this happen recently, it's no fun trying to get off a rock trail with no steering. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Luckily mine was just a leak, so we could keep adding fluid to get it off the trail.

The good thing about it is, You can turn the wheels easier, even when jammed against rocks, and you can use the steering to move the front end over if you need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with hydro assist you can do pretty much everything you could with full hydro and still have mechanical steering should your pump fail or you blow a line. IMO hydro assist is the way to go for reliability if nothing else.

15. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

How strong is the ram in a hydro assist system? I have never driven a truck with one. I do know my steering will easily move the jeep over if I put a tire against a rock or tree.

I do know after losing steering last weekend in the rocks, having a mechanical link so that I could still steer at least somewhat would have been great.

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Given the same ram size and pump pressure steering forces should be equal.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I wouldn't want to lose my steering just because a line blew, so I think I should eventually get just the hydro assist. Am I right?

18. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Like I said, I don't know much at all about hydro assist, but is there an orbital valve in the system? As you turn the wheel, what determines whether the ram is extending or retracting?

As far as blowing lines, I don't think it's that much of a problem as long as you inspect them regularly and use quality lines. My problem had to do with a new motor installed with new p/s pump, the line was a flare fitting, the pump needed an O-ring fitting. Never crossed my mind, and it never leaked until I got a lot of stress on it in the rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Like I said, I don't know much at all about hydro assist, but is there an orbital valve in the system? As you turn the wheel, what determines whether the ram is extending or retracting?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tap into the veins in the steering box and as fluid flows through it, it will flow to the ram and move it either direction.

20. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of doing the hydro assist to my truck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    hopefully it all works out
    if your wandering how to put it together this is the best info that i found hydro assist steering how to they are putting this one on a dodge but the chev uses the same box check it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif