Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro ram questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Aug 30, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

what is the differece between all the rams out there? some $60, some $100, some $150 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Where is the best place to get everything?

I also notice some have different ends too...which ends are everyone running?

What size ram is the norm/works best?

is it worth it to just spend the extra $$ and buy the 'kit'?

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It all depends. DD's need smaller rams to be streetable, type of steering decides the best ends (pin & tab vs rod end) low steer vs high steer can affect ram length. I don't run hydro yet so that is most of the knowledge I have so far.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. This one is low steer, driven on the streets with light local riverbed/beach/dune type screwing around, nothin major on this one.
    So whats to decide wether the ram is pin/tab ends or rod ends? This is just normal x-over, nothin special /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Depends on the ram you get really. Some come set up for the rod ends and some come wit the pin ends. I don't have a prefernce to either one evn though I run the rod ends. That's just what mine came with.

You may not even need to hydro if your only doing mild wheeling. I ran without on my 37's and unless i was crossed up really good I had no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thats what I have been thinking too. I may just do it on the 74 which will HOPEFULLY see more action if I ever get off my arse /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

This is all good info I'll need though

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Looks like a good place for a POLL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I have been thinking too. I may just do it on the 74 which will HOPEFULLY see more action if I ever get off my arse /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At your pace you'll be married with kids and half way to 80 before you even think about touching it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Poll needed.
    I use a 2" bore, 8" stroke AG ram. On a normal crossover setup. It is slower than the 1.5" but has more power for larger tires, or if your using minimal back spacing on your rims, ie.. 15" rims on a 60, w/ 2.75 back spacing, which in my case caused alot of damage to the spring bushings. By adding the ram it removed the leverage from the frame to the axle. As for types and costs, bling bling vs poorboy. Also how much room do you have?
    In the high steer crossover, it seems as tho you might not have the room for a AG ram. I have pin style ends using 3/4 plate tabs for the mounts and 1" grade 5 bolts with locking nuts. I have some good rock rash on this ram and it still holding together. A skid plate for the ram is in the near future. I use 1/4 I.D. lines with npt threads, that are rated for 2500 psi. These can be bought at any farmers type store for around $9 a piece in various lengths. Or alot of bolt houses, carry hydraulic lines of the same. They should have conversion ends that go from pipe threads to hydraulics. As for the box, I looked at the redneck ram, he taps the boxes in the 2 return veins, I don't know if this works better or if it's just bling.
    But tapping the caps works fine for me. My thought on this was, if I trash the box, I have to buy another box that is tapped, or I could buy a new box from anywhere, swap the caps and get my core charge back. I bought the tap,(9/16 18 thread), and the coresponding drill bit. The only problem I ran into with the caps is the top one needs a flat spot ground so the o-ring sits on a flat surface. And the end cap needs a 1" by 1" x 1/4" thick piece of aluminum plate welded to the center so it can be tapped as well. Afterthoughts were, you can tap the box with whatever thread you want, as long as it seals, and you can adapt to whatever threads come with your hyd lines. I didn't modify the pump either. Haven't had a problem with over heating the fluid yet. But I did add the piece of radiator hose and cut the neck off another pump resivoir.
    All of this info can be found at IH8MUD.com and Pirate.
    For what it's worth, maybe someone who knows both systems can explain further.
    Just my 02.
    Also, mine works good. And I built it for under $200, including, buying the tap and drill bit for the caps.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i was going to start a post today but ill just try a little hyjack.

could i just drill and tap my steering box myself. can anyone show me where? could i tap in to the lines running into my pump and box? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/hijack] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sweet!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif