Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Steer questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Nov 15, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Recently installed my 60/14 w/crossover and am going to install my WTO ram soon. I have read where folks were going to the hydroboost pump to get the remote resivor setup. What are the pros/cons of doing this? I'm running an o-ring box/pump now, is this a bolt in mod, or more of a headache? Not planning to convert the brake system to hydro now, just looking for a better pump setup for the WTO hydro.

Also, my truck (89 1/2 ton Jimmy) has a "PS fluid cooler" mounted under the radiator. (multipass circuit of tubing mounted under the radiator support) Is the factory setup enough for general use- 60% on road, 40% offroad, rough trail work, etc. ?

Will I need to add additional cooling to make the hydro setup reliable?

Thanks!
    Byron

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You don't have to use a remote resevoir, you can just do the radiator hose trick to extend the neck. It's what I'm doing right now till my HOWE stuff shows up.

As far as cooler, get the biggest one you can get. I ran the stock one for a while and burnt pumps up alot. After talking with Matt and Jeff Howe they said we should run at least a 8x10 or so cooler. Heat kills all these parts in a hurry.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, no real reason to go all trick and $pend a lot of $. I just have the extended radiator hose trick + a smallish cooler and everything works great. If you're that worried about heat, buy the 28,000# stacked plate B&M tranny cooler (#70266, $59.99, summit) and install a remote oil-filter (#TRD-1028, $12.75, summit) as well. Those 3 things combined dont cost much $, but will add hella more capacity to your system and keep the fluid very cool... overkill IMO, but sometimes overkill is good.

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How exactly does this radiator hoes thing work?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks folks!
    BTW, how far up the hose did you fill with fluid?

Byron

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was wondering how he managed to attach the p/s pump lid, but in the article it says he hacked the top off the old resevoir. Cool idea!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if u had a hose with a kink in it (link most rad hoses do!) you can steer the house around obstacles and make it much longer of an extension than I or the guy in the pics did. a 10-12" piece of hose oughta fit under the hood no problem, and you can never have to much PS fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I have herd you can use a chevy astro van power steering pump it uses a remote res. I keep forgetting to look while Im at the salvage yard to see if its true.