Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro steering rams...who wants what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheLakeRat, May 23, 2002.

1. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

OK here is the scoop. I've finnaly gotten to the point in my hydro assit business that i want to improve my product even further, so that i can comete even further with the big guys.

My main concern is getting a product that my customers can use and abuse. Up to this point i've been selling rams that anyone could buy online. they worked but they weren't the best way to go or everyone had trouble with mounting them.

The Big boys have a ram that is the right size and mounting configureation but it too weak and too pricey for most of us Rednecks

So my only choice is to have a ram custom built.

My quetion for you guys is what do you want?

I'm thinking 1.5" bore,7.5 or 8" stroke, threaded for heims on both ends, thick wall 1/4" tubing for the body, 1/2" high stress chrome shaft to keep the pressure equal both ways, and rebuildable.

What do you guys think? What do you think a fair price would be. want to try to get it cheap enough so that i can include it with my kit but keep the same price.

I've got a machinist working up a quote on what i listed abouve and should know after the weekend.

6305 US Hwy 277 S.
    San Angelo, Tx. 76904

www.westtexasoffroad.com

91 Wrangler,L98 350 with TBI,TH700,D300,4to1,twin stick,on board air,Hydro assist steering,SOA on 2" springs with shackle reversal front, 1/4 elipticle rear, D44 with lockright front, shaved D60R with detroit rear, Big Dog roll cage, Warn 12000 winch,38.5 Baja Claw's on 15x10 MRT bead locks, 4 girlfriends,2 miracles,3 acts of congress and lots of thrown tools

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I emailed you several times in the past month or so about your kit for my K30. I would definately pay several hundred dollars more to get a better system from you. I have heard nothing but good things about you and your company and I WILL be calling you in the next several weeks when I return to Hawaii.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Can the Hydraulic ram be used by itself?

I am wondering why and why not. I have no idea, just a thought. Safety?

I remember the older Dodges had this, but the Hydro rams were on the frame rail. I also recall they tended to leak a lot.

If this can be used as an only way of steering, it will eliminate the need for a drag link and the stock chevy steering arms.

Thanks for listening.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Need at least an 8" stroke 8-1/8 would be better. A chevy with the tie rod in stock location moves 8" from lock to lock. Other than that I would like to see fitting guards on the body to protect where to hose connects.

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I agree, atleast an 8" stroke. Mine has 8", and I'm still losing a tad...and I mean a tad, not enough to notice...
    Heims is definately the way to go here in my op. gives it a littel "moving" room.

The rest sounds really good /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

id go 5/8s rod or maybe 3/4 .

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm curious how much less pressure the cylinder would have on compression versus extension...or whether it even matters for this application.

Rene

8. TheLakeRat

topoff, yes the ram can be used by it'self but you will have to get a full hydraulic spool valve which are normally used in fork lifts or tractors. while many people do use this kind of steering setup it is not DOT approved because it does not retain any of the mechanicle linkage and could fail if you sprung a leak.

Butch, i think your right, I need at least 8" for the full size guys. But what kind of guards are you talking about? i don't quite get what you mean.

Thanks for the input Boss

K10ANDYKHAMNIC, i though about that but trying to keep the steering power equal is a concern. I know the 2" rams have a 1" rod and i can barely feel the difference but the 1.5" rams i've been useing have a 3/4' ram and i can really tell the difference on those. I discussed it with the machinist and he told me that he has had good luck with a certain rod that he has against bending with lateral forces. so i'm going to give it a try. I have heard of a few AGR rams bending but most problems have been the seals in the body of the cylinder.

tRustyK5, as i just said above. it wasn't a problem i noticed with the 2' ram but it noticable with the smaller ram.

if ya'll have any more suggesations or if you think i'm wrong about anything PLEASE let me know.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

on the guard may be a small piece of tubing cut in half welded to the ram housing to protect the fitting from say trees and sticks and stuff ...?

kinda off topic oops but how do i get more power out of my pump at low rpms ? i removed the shim . whats next ? or should replace it the rebuild i bought already :-| ?

10. TheLakeRat

i see what you mean about a guard now. has anyone broke a fiting there?
    As far as the power goes, are you running hydro assit? and are you talking idle RMS or more in the 1000-1500 RPM range?

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

idle i think .... sometimes when i take a corner , just coasting throo itll just feel like it crapped out then if i tap the gas itll come back , no hydro assist .

12. TheLakeRat

thats normallt a problem related to hydro assit. it's hard to say what would cause it in a regular steering setup. A couple of things you could try are. 1 shim up the release spring behind the piston. this can be done by wraping a wire around the piston where the spring seats around it. you could also try just stretching the spring out a bit. the other thing to try would be to drill out the main fitting a size or two. i really don't think this will help you though on a stock setup.
    You may have to break down and get a rebuilt pump. Sorry.

13. TheLakeRat

we'll it looks like the ram is a go. I talked to my guy today and he gave me a quote that will alow me to sell them in the 150-160 range. which will also alow me to keep my regular price of 450 for the full kit. It cuts my profit margin down a bit but i can live with that if it creates a better product in the process.
    He told me he would have a test model done for me by the time i get back from TTC. then it will take me a week or 2 to test it out then if i'm happy with it we'll start full production.
    Supplies will be limited to first come first serve so if you want to you can reserve one now

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For the full kit we send you are old box? What do you do to it besides add fittings. Do you set the endplay, preloads, and such? Sorry, just trying to get an idea. My steering is a little sloppy and I've tried doing the external adjustment with no success.

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Could you post some pictures of the new ram when built? Just want to see it. I am definately interested.

Thanks

16. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and reserve me a kit. I'll call you when I get back to Hawaii in a about a week and a half.

17. TheLakeRat

Leadfoot, yes you need to send me your box and then i completely rebuild the box and modify the spool valve, and tap for line to run the ram. On occation i have spare boxes and cane build it and send it to youwith a core charge.
    I do not tap into the caps like some people do, i tap as directly into the spool valve as possible. All backlash and preload will be completely reset. to my specks.

Mudzer, i'll post them as soon as i get back from TTC.

Spaceboy, i'll put you on the list. Thanks

18. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

have you checked out some mine equipment shops.???? there steering jacks for the mining buggy has about the same travel as a standard pickup.. and is alot beefier...you'd need to add bushings to the eye holes to adapt it to a pickup....