Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost and Ram Assist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 18, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Couldn't find any posts by searching.

Is hydroboost workable with WTO ram assist steering? Seems like one would need to T off the high pressure line and for the low pressure hose just connect them together at the pump.

Stock output PS pump?

What else?

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am running WTO hydro and hydro boost w/38's. Matt warned me I would not have full assist but it works pretty well. I notice a lack of assist at times but not really a big deal. I have a stock replacement pump. I do want to try some of his tricks to get it better.

3. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got my ram and pump back from WTO. I will be running the hydro assist with hydro boost, plus I am using the Milemarker Hydaulic winch. I had Matt do the modifications to a new pump. As soon as I get it all sorted out and hooked up I will let you know how it works. I am presently working on a larger remote resevoir.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How do you have it plumbed?
    Woudl you recommend getting a junkyard booster and lines or getting new and having hoses made?
    Any suggestions?

Pic would be great if you have one.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got my ram and pump back from WTO. I will be running the hydro assist with hydro boost, plus I am using the Milemarker Hydaulic winch. I had Matt do the modifications to a new pump. As soon as I get it all sorted out and hooked up I will let you know how it works. I am presently working on a larger remote resevoir.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have that many things on it I would suggest you put another pump just for the hydraulic winch.
    That's what I am doing for mine when I get that winch.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K5BLT4FUN

I have been considering a seperate clutched pump for the winch or possible going to an Electric.

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have it plumbed like OEM- pressure line from pump to hydrobooster, pressure line from booster to steering box and each have a return to pump. Then two lines out of box to ram. I got system out of 87 C&C truck. I had to replace booster (old one leaked) with Carquest rebuilt and replaced pressure hose from pump. Junkyard parts are OK. Just inspect hoses and ends for dryrot or missing O rings. Sorry, no digital camera.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running the full stock hydro boost and WTO hydro assist with 2" ram. The only thing I've done is modify the volume from the pump using the WTO mods. I still have trouble turning when hard on the brakes. I'm thinking about running dual remote res pumps. One dedicated to the hydro boost, the other to steering. The HB will be stock and the steering will have the volume mods. I think that will solve my problems...

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have that many things on it I would suggest you put another pump just for the hydraulic winch.
    That's what I am doing for mine when I get that winch.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the MM hydraulic winch any good?

I bought their electric because I heard the hydro winch was sloooooooooooow. I think I'll be fine with the electric.

10. K5BLT4FUN

The MM winches are great. Yes the Hydraulic is slow, but I am not competing in any timed events I am just wheeling. I like the added control of the slower line speed. I have used mine on the trails several times as well as one long day of very hard use moving a stuck mobile home and transport truck.

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I really like my Warn 9000 electric.
    Easy hookup and classic durability.

About the hydroboost - I think I'll check the jyards and see what they have. I need to the hydro brake booster and the lines...thats all, right?

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The MM winches are great. Yes the Hydraulic is slow, but I am not competing in any timed events I am just wheeling. I like the added control of the slower line speed. I have used mine on the trails several times as well as one long day of very hard use moving a stuck mobile home and transport truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use the MM hydraulic winch on a vehicle that will not stall, like diesel or FI and it will keep running as long as you want, will not overheat, or kill the batteries.
    On the other hand on a trail truck using a carbed gas engine I would go with an electric with a couple of good gel batteries in case you need it with a dead engine, that you can't do with the hydro...