Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost Brake Conversion???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Sep 1, 2004.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Considering upgrading the brakes to a hydroboost system. What all is needed to do the swap. Is it mostly straight forward or some fabrication involved? Can the existing steering box be used or must that be replaced also. Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I tried to find a copy of "JIML's brake paper" which I posted on here several times a year or so ago... It tells all about the how and why of the conversion....I cant seem to find it anymore on the internet...maybe its still here in the archives...Im not real adept at searching them... I think GM sued him because he was bringing a class action against them for faulty brakes
    Ive done it to my K5 and it was pretty much a complete bolt on....
    used the brake proportioning valve, the hydroboost, the power steering pump,(modified the pump bracket slightly for my application) the brake rod to the pedal (mine was longer,the hydro was shorter)
    (I also have a 60 and 14b)
    I took all the parts off an 85 military truck.... but they can be found on the 87-91 v/r 3500s... some c/k2500s and even some lighter diesels
    hope this helps
    cam

3. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Thanks for finding it daniel.... it moved from where it was before... good technical document to have in our toolboxes...
    cam