Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost in a 1970 k20?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by proyouring71nova, Jan 8, 2003.

1. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

I'm doing complet 4wheel drum to disk conversion on my truck and have a used power brake set up and was wondering if anyone has put in a Hydroboost unit in there 67-72 blazer, burb, truck? Also It they had to fab anything up or its just a bolt on? Pluse is there that much diffrence between the two ( Hydroboost or power)? thanks max

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

talk to boregok5 he has done it and i am doing it. all you have to do is press out the extra 2 studs that would go through the firewall or drill 2 more holes and hook it up.

this is all from borego k5 so thank him

I think I pulled mine from a 1 ton deisel but I can't remember for sure. The hydrabooster replaces your vacuum booster but remains independent of the master cylender. They both input with the pedal and output with a rod which actuates the master cylender so there is no fluid exchange (unless one leaks). There are two styles of hydrabooster, one which sits in series with the steering box and another with is run on its own set of high pressure lines. The one which runs in series has three connections on it (one high pressure in, one high pressure out and one low pressure return line), this is the easiest and cheapest to integrate into your current system and I would guess the deisel 1 ton would be this way. The other will have one high pressure in and one low pressure out - this will require a special power steering pump which is equipped with the extra hydrabooster ports. There is another thing to look out for as well accross both setups which is the type of high pressure fitting your currently using on your high pressure lines. One has a flush type fitting and the other has a 1/2" nipple which protrudes out and into the mating surface. I do believe you can purchase high pressure lines with the different styles on each end to adaprt one style to the other, but it can drive the swap price up so keep an eye out for it. You may have to yank one of your power steering lines to see what you currently have. Last is the rod which actuates the master cylender from the hydrabooster -

I've seen 2 different lengths on hydraboosters, your going to want the one which sits flush and not the one which protrudes out about an inch from the hydrabooster mating surface.

"I've seen 2 different lengths on output actuation rod of the hydraboosters" - I was referring to the master cylender side, I reused my stock master cylender and it works great. There has to be some difference in master cylenders through the years/models due to the different lengths of the output rods which actuate them from the hydrabooster. I wish I knew more about it. Mine came with one too long, I cut it down but accidently cut too much. I later installed a shorter version (just the rod, looked like my stock vacuum booster one) which I had found in a junk yard (by accident) on another hydrabooster setup which was a carbon copy of the one I had. Perhaps the deisels have the longer rod, I'm really not sure.

hope it helps

nathan
    69K5

3. ericguy320

ericguy320 Registered Member

you can buy an adjustable rod at a chevy dealer it is made for a recall that is on the 94 burbans i am not sure of the part number but i can get it if any one wants it