Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost M/C rebuild...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Aug 23, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Does the hydroboost system use the same master cylinder as say a 3/4T truck...or is it different?

Can you rebuild the m/c?

I assume fluid is not supposed to be getting through here:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/55167605/178635354jEHzUj

Does this mean the master cylinder is junk?

I pulled another one apart and there is a seal right below this that I think may be bad.

Also, how can I get this piston out? The other one came shooting out as soon as I removed the snap ring, this one only comes to the point that you see it here, I can get it to shoot out all the way. I think that seal may be f'd up and jamming it up.

Any ideas?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

IIRC, it is the same MC- shape and all. The hydroboost portion only helps.

Can you rebuild it? well, its only 30something bucks at autozone. On the interesting side, if you can get a rebuild kit for the hydroboost, do it! Its acutally amazingly simple to do, just requires about 15 minutes to replace all the seals. A new (rebuilt) unit will be about 200 beans,and for the most part, they just replaced the seals.

Ask me how I found out. (after paying 200 beans) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Well, the I had bought my first system off of a member of this board about 1.5 years ago, big ordeal and I got stuck with it. Been sitting since I got it in the garage. Pulled it out to finally do the swap and it was junk after taking a close look at it. Rusted out to hell, broken parts, etc.

SO. Took out my second system I also purchased from a member of the board. Took the the master apart from the booster just to make sure nothing was wrong. (the one in the picture above). The snap ring was brokent in three pieces and just laying in there. I put air to it to get the 'piston' out and from the snap ring laying in there broken, it scored the wall up real bad...hence the leaking (it chewed up the seal).
    So I called one place and they wanted $60 plus a core....
    that is why I was seeing if there was a kit for them (this is before I found out the wall was scored up)

So I go to Autozone....$26 plus core. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BUT, I guess there were different systems throughout the years. 80-82 is one kind, 83-86 is another and has two different options, and 88 and up has yet another few part numbers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
    And not knowing what year mine came from, lets just say, I spent a long time at Autozone. The masters look the same for the most part, but ther piston has a different depth where the push rod sets.
    Anyways, by process of elimination, I THINK we found the one I need...its from an 85 and its the one they didnt have in stock, so I had to order it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

If I remember I'll take a pic of the different pistons.

I would like to rebuild the hydroboost part if I can. Do you know what seals it takes?
    Pm me if you want /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So anyways, the reason I was trying to take the cheaper rebuild kit way, is because I already bought to systems that were said to be good, but turned out to be crap and didnt want to have to dump MORE $$ into it. But looks like I am gonna have too anyways /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How do I tell if the hydroboost part is in good shape? What does that little gas charged cylinder hanging off the side do?

OH and if anyone buys a USED SYSTEM, MAKE SURE ITS IN GOOD SHAPE, and MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YEAR IT CAME FROM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

From what I understand the gas charged cylinder is suppose to give you one or two pedal pushes if your motor stalls ...I wouldnt take that thing as it might blow up in your face /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I understand the gas charged cylinder is suppose to give you one or two pedal pushes if your motor stalls ...I wouldnt take that thing as it might blow up in your face /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good to know/learn
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hey mike, if youve got a 1/2 ton vacuum booster and a m/c all for 1/2 ton 81-87 then id trade you this 81 hydroboost unit and m/c

its 1/2 ton not 3/4 and 1 ton,

the stud thingy for the hole in the booster pedal push rod through the firewall is different diameter on at leats 1 tons, i tried to put a an 81 or so 3/4 ton vacuum booster in place of hydroboost on a 76 1 ton dually once and the stud thingy on the pedal arm was too big a round for the 3/4 ton rod end hole.

so some wont interchange yeh

i imagine the rod on the 81 hydro 1/2 ton will be smaller diameter more common,
    but dont know til i remove it and check