Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost/Non-hydroboost steering pumps?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LilWes278, Dec 3, 2005.

1. LilWes278

LilWes278 Registered Member

Are there any differences between the power steering pumps for a hydroboost equipped truck and a non-hydroboost equipped truck? Does the hydroboost pump have a higher output? Are they compatible? I'm tired of changing out my stock pump every few months. Autozone always warranties it (got the lifetime warranty), and I know I should shell out the dollars for an AGR pump, but I was wondering if switching to a hydroboost pump would help at all since Autozone will give me one on warranty.

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

hydroboost pump has 2 return line fittings, other then that, they should be the same, at most the spring in the pressure relief valve might be different

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure there are some hydroboost units that have more capacity than the regular units...plus the extra drain nipple.

You can up the pressure by stretching the spring, but I think that hydroboost is sensitive to pressure change and some have reported bad results (pulsating) using that trick.

Why are you going through pumps?

4. LilWes278

LilWes278 Registered Member

12" wide rims + wide tires + stock steering (4" raised arm & frame brace, but otherwise stock) + offroading = pump no workie! After a while it will work while rolling, but not at a stop. Then it quits working all together. Almost like the seals go out or something. I've replaced the pump twice, and now this one is ready to be replaced too. I'd really like to get an AGR on there, but I was trying to see if there were any alternatives before spending the $$$ so close to Christmas.

5. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

sounds like your getting ****ty pumps. quit going to autozone.

6. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

How tall of a tire do you run? I'd just try to stay away from those compact parking lots because on pavement with big tires, no hydro assist, and yanking the wheel back and forth without rolling, you can burn up a stock pump pretty quick.

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

All of my Hydroboost trucks run dual belt pulleys for the PS pump and my others don't. You may need a second belt for the extra pressure??:confused:
    Other than that they look the same on the outside so they will swap in if you block the unused port.

I would add some capacity to your steering fluid. If you have a manual you can run the return line through your radiator tranny cooler to add a quart or so. On my jeep I run the PS fluid through the radiator and then through a remote oil filter just to add the extra quarts because the full hydro can heat it up fast.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running a single pulley with no problems. Make sure to use a good quality belt.

9. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

get a new gm pump !!! problem solved I was running 44s on a stock pump for 5 years !!!!