Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HydroBoost P/S Pump a bolt on?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if a HydroBoost power steering pump will bolt on to a 1st Gen? If so what year, etc? Am I correct in assuming that they put out more pressure/flow than a stock pump? My current pump has seen better days...it leaks like mad, makes horable noises, and sometimes I can't turn the wheel even with all my strength (not sure if that is the pump or the steering box).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

The hydroboost pump was offered in 1 tons after 72. You will need the later model (mid 80s good) pump with 2 low pressure outlets and the brackets to attach it. Gen 1 brackets are different.
    Good luck - hydroboost is great. I installed it in my V1500 Suburban (91) and now I have BRAKES...
    JB

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Actually I had not planed on doing the full hydroboost conversion (at least not yet). I just want a pump that has more flow/pressure than a stocker (I don't want to have to get another new pump when I do a home made rockram setup someday). I just don't like doing things twice.

Is there any way I could plug up the other set of inlet/outlets?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

You can probably just get a non-hydroboost pump with 1 LP outlet, plus the brackets. The only difference is really the reservoir (can), so if you already have a HB pump, just plug the second outlet.
    I'll bet GM or Chevy Duty (or the like)has rebuild kits for your pump. I rebuilt my 67 Corvette pump a couple of years ago, not a big deal.
    The later model pumps have an output of 1300-1500 psi, so make sure your steering box seals are ok...
    JB