Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost+Powersteering+Ram assist.... is it doable????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, Mar 5, 2004.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to run all these off the same pump?
    I have the high pressure hydroboost pump w/ the larger remote resivior.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Search for all my problems with it... Heres the deal, you can modify your pump per WTO's directions to run it all pretty well, but your pumps will die quickly. I was going through one every 3-4 weeks.

Also, when you modify for more pressure the hydroboost becomes very unhappy and the brake pedal will pulsate and the HB will make all kinds of noise if your trying to hold your truck on a hill or something.

The only real cure for the setup is to run a bone stock pump for the hydroboost and another pump for the hydroassist steering. I currently run a stock pump plumbed to the hydroboost and a KRC racing pump for the steering, very nice pump with 3.9 gpm compared to the stock 1.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Jason, any link or more info on your secondary pump? How much (if you don't mind)?

Thanks!

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've had similar problems. I never mod for pressure, I don't need or want more power than I have stock. It's the volume that bites you, so I do the volume mods per WTOs instructions. On the brakes at idle, steering is VERY slow. Off the brakes, not too bad, but still not fast at an idle with my 2" ram. I've also had no pump longevity problems with the flow mods alone.

I've been gathering parts to do a dual pump setup too. I'll be running a flow modified pump on the steering and a second stock pump on the brakes. Both will be remote reservoir and will share a single large reservoir + cooler + filter.

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

You gotta pic of your setup? I was thinking I would have to run two pumps, but I don't want to loose my serpentine setup.
    Ever hear of anyone running two pumps w/ a serpentine belt system?

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My setup is serpentine, it's a 96 for cryin out loud /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have a few pics:

[​IMG]

In that pic the big pulley/stock pump on top used to be where the smaller pully/new pump is, you can see where I cut the bracket and welded in a new plate to mount the new pump.

[​IMG]

In that pic you can see how I setup the old stock pump at top to clear the radiator hoses and such, came out looking pretty stock. You can also see the remote engine oil filter that I'm using on the power steering and the unmounted remote resevoir for the new steering pump by the master cylinder.

[​IMG]

That pic shows everything a little better with how it lays out.

The pump I purchased from Day Motorsports and it was the Cast Iron KRC pump with serpentine pulley. Cost was $149 plus shipping. I started the truck up yesterday and believe me that pump can pump! I run a 2.5" bore ram and that thing steered waaaayyyyy faster than my stock pump with 1.5" bore ram ever did. I mean lock to lock in under 1 second, I didn't mean to do that, the torsion bar in the box broke but it was still cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Baddog, if you want speed, this pump is for you!

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Great pics! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Looks like I got my work cut out for me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Thanks for the info....

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have that exact setup that you are talking about. its been on my truggy for about 2 years now and havent had any problems like willyswanter has had. one problem I do have is my remote resorvoir will puke fluid out the cap when im in the throttle real hard and I have no idea why /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I do have the same problem with slow steering at an idle just like BadDog and would like to step it up some.
    now im curious about this double pump setup. ?