Hydroboost & PS Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    So, on newer trucks, like my '97 K2500HD 6.5Diesel, which has Hydroboost, and my buddies '02 3500 Duramax, they have power steering coolers.
    If I look at a late 90's 2500HD with gas engine and no hydroboost, they do not have a power steering cooler.

So, for those with hydroboost & power steering, are you running a power steering cooler? I would guess those with Ram assist and hydraulic winches and such, they would definitely require the cooler, but with just the Hydroboost and power steering, is a cooler nessesary?

Apparently GM thought so, at least on the newer stuff, but I don't think any of our era trucks had a PS cooler on the hydroboost trucks.
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    The factory PS "cooler" I've seen was basically a zig-zag of hardline on the crossmember... granted, this was not on a hydroboost truck, just on a '90 TBI 350 V2500 Burb.

I don't recall EVER seeing or hearing about an actual finned-type cooler unit.

On my dually, I have no issues with brakes or steering, and do not have a cooler. (Well, I have brake and steering issues right now, but only 'cuz the motor's out :haha: )

-- A
  3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Oct 16, 2002
    My 86 dually does not have a ps cooler (stock), though I was thinking about installing one because after driving a while if I tried to brake and turn at the same time the steering wheel would be pretty hard to turn. When the fluid was cold it would have no problems but once it got hot it would give me problems. Say for instance I was driving down a freeway offramp with a turn at the bottom I would have to slow before the turn so I could make it. It wasnt a huge problem you just didnt want to be haulin ass around the corner is all. Once I get my motor all straightened out I planned on installing a cooler. This would be most noticeable after driving for an hour or so on the insterstate, it almost seemed like the fluid was foaming and overheating. Its possible I guess it could have been a result of old fluid because when I got the truck I never changed it (though I only had it for 8 months before the fire.)
  4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Apr 20, 2004
    My truck wasn't originally equipped with one. I later installed a tube and fin style from a Caddy. You can see it mounted below the trans cooler here:

The cooler is on the steering gear box return. From what I understand it's not a good idea to restrict the hydroboost return. Plus when I flushed the system I found the hydroboost return only flows when you depress the brake pedal. Where as there's always flow in the gear box return line.