Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost ps pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-tonmudder, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 Mil Blazer that was a 6.2 diesel with the hydraboost.I am parting my truck to build the blazer and am going to use the 350 in place of the 6.2.What power steering pump are you guy's using.I know a non hydroboost pump wont work since it dont have the 3rd fitting on the back,and I have a hydro-pump from a 6cyl truck,but my brackets wont let the lines clear the block.So can I use the diesel pump with the gas brackets or will I have to find a pump off a gas motor with the hydro-boost.I have access to a set of BB ps brackets off a hydro pump,but I dont think they will work either.I will probably buy a new pump but want to know what brackets to use.Im sure this has been done 100 times but I'd like to hear from someone that knows so itll cut down on the trial and error.

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've been using a non-hydro power steering pump for over a year.....A "T" in the return line makes it possible, although some have recently reported better results using 2 return line setup and reservoir. Mine has done OK, but I recently changed the return hose and now have a small kink reducing flow...I will address that this weekend.

I have 3 different pumps in the garage, but use the one that fits the bracket.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I had to modify the bracket on my 350 to work with the Diesel PS pump. I think I am gonna get a pump for a 1-ton with a 350. The lines on the rez look like they will clear the frame a little better and also will fix the issues I had with the bracket. Only 1 of the 4 bolt holes lined up so I had to redrill the bracket and trim the bracket to clear the rez. All in all it is alittle bit of money but buy the HB pump for a gas motor.

Ira

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

You could just swap the reservoirs around to get the pump setup you need. That is what I have always done. I keep a couple of extra reservoirs around. From what I have seen the pump itself has always been the same, they just use different cans.

Russ

5. 1-tonmudder

swapping the res would be fine with me,I cant remeber now but do the brackets screw into the pump body instead of the res ?

6. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

The brackets should mount to the holes in the front of the pump body and/or the stud(s) on back of the pump that hold the reservoir on. All of the pumps that I have fooled with have had the same bolt holes in them, just different combinations used for different brackets.

Russ

7. 1-tonmudder

Thanks,it will be monday before I can try it,but Ill let you know if it works.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Any pics of changing the reservoirs out? I think I might have to try it. Of the 3 pumps I have, they all seem clocked a little different. If its easy to change around, I'll go get a HB reservoir and stop using the "T."

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep pull the fitting and the 2 bolts off the back of the rez and pull the pump out. It is a tight fit as the pump has an oring that surrounds it to seal the front to the rez and each hole on the rear has an oring to seal it all are located on the pump.

Ira

10. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I don't have any pictures and I just threw away all the extra pumps I had last week. Like Ira said though, it is just a matter of taking the pump fitting and 2 bolts/stud off the back. I usually put the pump housing in a vise and try and tap the reservoir away from the pump. Sometimes they are a fairly tight fit and you may bend the reservoir a little getting it off, but you can straighten it back out once it is off. I have had to do that a few times and never had a problem with it sealing.

Russ

11. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

The pumps create different pressures too. The hydroboost has a higher pressure.

12. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I have heard that also, but then from talking to the folks at PSC and from comparing part numbers I have not been able to find a difference in the two pumps. There very possibly is, just not that I have been able to find. I have interchanged pumps also from hydroboost to non-hydroboost with absolutely no difference in the way they performed.

Russ

13. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I think its just the pressure valve, or bleeder valve or something like that. The part where the pressure hose screws into is different. But I agree, all internals are the same.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think the clocking of the holes on the back of the rez are different cause when I put a HB pump from a diesel on my 350 bracket I had to modify it cause the rez hit the bracket. I think that is where my leak is from it appears that the pump is starting to pull out of the rez? The seam of the rez is stuck and when I tightened down the bracket it pulled the pump out a little:doah: .

Ira

15. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Ira,
    I apologize for the off topic post, but I noticed in another post you said you live across the street from Gear Vendors. I lived at 1434 Roxanne when I was stationed out there. It is off of Pepper Drive across from Gear Vendors.

Russ

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I live in Pepper Drive Estates right on Graves. I live next to the Storage place on Pepper Drive:D .

Ira