Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydroboost pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 5, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

is there any difference between a hydroboost pump and a nonhydroboost pump besides the 2 returns? does it pump any different?

can you hook both returns into the one line? if not, with the exteded fill next, can you plumb the 2nd return to the hose?

reason i ask, the junkyard has a hydroboost but no pump and im thinking about putting it on.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I started out with a 6.2L, then swapped in a 350, and then swapped in a serpentine belt setup.

When I first did the 350 swap I modified the brackets so I could run the hydroboost pump.

Then when I did the serpentine belt setup I switched to a standard pump. I tee'd the return lines together. I ran it like this for quite a while. The only thing I noticed was that it seemed like I could turn the wheel fast enough that the power steering would "lag".

I did some more research and reading and have learned that there are differences in the pumps. For one thing the reservoirs are bigger on hydroboost pumps. I had also read about the tee'd lines causing the brakes to lock. So, it made me paranoid and I installed a hydroboost pump. it bolted right in with only some grinding of the brackets.

So like I said earlier, I never had any problems with the standard pump and tee'd return lines, it just made me nervous. I've seen aftermarket kits for corvettes setup that way. The hydroboost line from the pump to the booster was the exact same fitting, so there was no problem there.

There's a good article on this in the tech articles forum.

3. big83chevy4x4

thats what prompted me to do this. i didn't read it all, it would have taken 4 hours, lol

i guess ill try to find another truck with a hydroboost pump, i don't want any issues.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you're running a SBC look for a 1-ton. It is my understanding that they all came with hydroboost. That way you'll have the correct brackets. If you use a 6.2L pump, you'll have to make some custom brackets.

5. big83chevy4x4

thats what this one truck was, a c30 just no pump. but now that i think about it, there was a 76 c30 on the other side of the yard that im sure still has the pump. i guess its time to go get those, now if i can only come up with the money :crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cars 78-85 with diesel were hyrdroboost,
    not just 1 tons, theres lots of 1/2 tons 3/4 tons out there with hydroboost, vans too, etc,

its not a 1 ton thing, most hydroboost i see are not in a 1 ton, but are in cars, c-10s, vans, etc.

and gas p/s pumps only have two lines, hydro ones have three

if you need a hydro pump i have an 81 one here from a c-10 but its oldsmobile 350 brackets,
    you need it ?
    otherwise its going to shredder it not, next load, thy sem to be too common still, evryone seems ot be able to find them and not need ot have any sent ot them

good luck

7. idf_johnny

idf_johnny Registered Member

I got my whole system off a truck at pick n pull and the pump only had one return port with a T mounted on the frame. it was on a diesel.