Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Sep 20, 2003.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Found a hydroboost setup in a vandura 3500. Its a dully box van. Looks to be an early 90s possibly late 80s. Wont know till tomorrow. Everything is there, hydro, resevoir, pump, and lines still hooked up. Will this be a fairly easy setup for an '87 k5? Maybe have to fab a bracket for the pump. Any thoughts?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what is the benefit?
    i just bought a 1979 gmc k35 that has the setup too....im thinkin of how i can retro that stuff for hydraulic assist steering /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

HB from a truck is pretty much a bolt on as long as you get it all. No idea about the one from a van.

Works fine with hydro assist, but the added demand (both HB and HA) exceeds the volume of the pump at idle making steering slow.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Found a hydroboost setup in a vandura 3500. Its a dully box van. Looks to be an early 90s possibly late 80s. Wont know till tomorrow. Everything is there, hydro, resevoir, pump, and lines still hooked up. Will this be a fairly easy setup for an '87 k5? Maybe have to fab a bracket for the pump. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

being that its on a van,theres no guarantee thatt he firewall stud bolts pattenr is same for the hydro unit mounted to firewall as it is on a conventional truck cab, plus the distance from firewall to the end of the brake pedal pushrod too, length may not be same, youll have to take measurements to see.
    also keep in mind that van p/s pumps bracketry isnt same design as conventional cab trucks either and it will matter if you have or dont have a/c depending on what the van has, youll have to do some comparing and measuring

oh, and make sure first off thatt he master cylinder in the van works because tem things are expensive to replace, and if its good then the first thing i would do is remove it from the hydro unit and carefulyl clean out the reservoirs to get the crud out of the bottomof them so none of it ends up getting sucked into the boresof the cylinder, may want to disassemble and clean it all out real godo with new fluid and make sure no rust on the bores from the truck sitting unused because if any rust is ont hem and you go bleeding it out(extra total piston travel in the bores) and the seals run over rusty portion of bores then you might as well kiss the thing bye bye

good luck

5. krayzie

krayzie Registered Member

Honestly? Don't go with the HB unit. You can get an aftermarket gearbox that will allow you to turn 44" boggers with your pinky. HB is a very high maintenance system. I considered it for my truck at one time... I am glad to have reconsidered. But if HB is for you, then get a new unit at an AC-Delco warehouse like I work at. They are about 500 bucks and you can be sure that it will all function properly. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have two trucks with working hydro boost and I think they're both stupid. I prefer normal vacuum assist power brakes.

If you want more braking power, get a different master. More power assist won't help you.

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh, and make sure first off thatt he master cylinder in the van works because tem things are expensive to replace,

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know where you shop, but i sell h/b master c's at my work for 18 bucks remanned, the h/b unit itself is like 140, but the m/c is cheap as dirt....