Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost rattling on 1990 Burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Hey!

I have a 1990 1/2-ton Burb with the 6.2L diesel. Since I bought it, there has been a rattling noise from the hydroboost brake booster on the firewall. I originally just thought this was a rattle in the truck (like something in the dash), but have since figured out that it's coming from the booster. I have driven the truck about 4000 miles this way and the noise has not changed.

The power steering reservoir is full, and the brakes and steering work fine. The rattling noise happens at idle. For instance, I hear it at a stoplight, and as I press the throttle to accelerate from a stop it goes away. The noise does not change when I press the brake pedal or let off the pedal - it seems to only happen when the engine is idling and go away when engine speed increases.

Is this noise bad? Is there anything I should check to try to fix it? Is it something I need to address soon, rather than continuing the drive it this way (like could the booster be going bad and potentially mess up other parts, like the pump)?

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!!!
    Richard

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It sounds more like loose parts than a bad hydroboost unit. Is it louder inside or outside the cab?

3. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I can definitely hear it inside the cab from the driver seat. I'll check it out this weekend and compare how loud it is under the hood.

Thanks!
    Richard

4. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't think 1/2 ton Burb's came with Hydroboost. Unless it was swapped in.

5. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge, all diesels came with Hydroboost, so that's why this one has it. I know that this truck is totally stock, nothing swapped.