Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost setup, what can I get one off of to work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Aug 19, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I found a deal on a hydroboost "off a mid '80's RWD full size car, is complete system on running vehicle right now" would that work on my blazer? what do I need to make it work?
    thanks
    quick answer would be helpfull, will this work with my current steering box?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I used my stock power steering pump and power steering box when I converted to hydraboost from an 85 1 ton truck. Only modification I made was a "T" in the low pressure return and purchased and extra high pressure line to run in series with the pump and steering box. The firewall mount on my hydrabooster had 2 studs which I punded out so the 6 studs on the firewall would fit as stock onto the booster. Works great, always good even consistent braking!

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I did several searches and talked to a bunch of people here and talked to a GM parts guy and had him compare stuff for me before buying mine. Seems there is a difference in the pedals too. I got EVERYTHING off of a 1/2 ton diesel P/U. The only part connected to anything I left behind was the 2wd box. (wish I had grabbed that too now) Grab everything you can off the car. I dont think the box will work so leave that, and get a Hydro brake pedal from a truck. Also there is supposed to be a difference in the 1 ton stuff. Some say they have used it fine some say they will launch you through the windsheild.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

system is on runnning car and works, it needs new master cylinder, the pump is full so apparently doesnt leak or i would think pump level would have been low, i want vacuum, thats my preference to have for simplicity, its an '85 caprice estate wagon with 305(LG4 with 4 bbl and ESC and A.I.R.) engine

what do ya think? I think I can get it for less than $75

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i want vacuum, thats my preference to have for simplicity

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess I dont know what you want now. The subject line says hydroboost and you are mentioning a preference for a vacuum booster?
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    system is on runnning car and works, it needs new master cylinder

[/ QUOTE ]
    Add $25-30 for a new master cylinder (unless you are going to reuse the original on your blazer. Although I dont know if the parts are going to work for you. Might try to call a wrecking yard and ask them. they may have a hollender interchange manual that could tell you. Then ask them how much for a hydroboost pedal assembly if you need one.

Otherwise I have a complete working system that came off of a Suburban with good hydrobooser, good master cylinder, pedal assembly, good pump and reservoir. It needs new hoses but that is it. $100 plus shipping is what I am asking for it and I know it will work for you (my guess on shipping is $25-30)

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

sorry to get off topic, but what are the benefits of a hydraboost system?
    Ryan

8. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Good Source of Info for the Conversion

Check out "JimL's Brake Paper", including specs on PS pumps...

This is a compilation of pertinent brake data posted on the vmag Suburban forum - maintained by "No. 1 Son" from NASA in Houston - a great source of tech help...

http://subtopics.freeyellow.com/Brakes.htm

I did this conversion on my 91 V1500 Sub - the truck now has BRAKES, and I am planning the same conversion on the Jimmy (at the appropriate time)...

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Re: Good Source of Info for the Conversion

sorry guys that last post was the reply from the guy that has the system, I should have quoted it but I was tired, I apologize for the confusion

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

So Les...what do ya really want? I never knew cars had Hydroboost /forums/images/icons/confused.gif It's mainly a truck/diesel thing....just like the 'burb I had the other day.
    I think you need just a standard Vacuum booster for power brakes...right??

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well it was kind of a question if the system on that car would work? if I had to modify or buy anything extra. That car has that system I guess, (I didn't know they came with it either) but I"m new in this game. Biggest thing was if it would work and it was a good deal, then what I needed to do to put in on or if it was a direct vacum booster replacement with a few hoses

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

GN had hydroboost
    hard to say if old diesel cars had it or a vacuum pump

13. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Also some big Eldorados from the 70s had hydroboost... Just a better mousetrap - big iron stuff.

14. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I can't remember if you have power brakes on that baby or not...if you do I would stick with that until ya get some monster meats etc....seems like a lot of work for what ya got so far.