Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost Swap....which pump did you use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Apr 5, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I've swapped in hydroboost recently, and the Chev pump fromt the diesel doesn't match up AT ALL to a caddy block /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I can make a bracket, but its still pretty sketchy. Anyone have any idea if the stock Caddilac pump will be able to keep up with the hydroboost? What if I do the mod's listed on WTO?

Thanks!

-Kyle.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What if I do the mod's listed on WTO?

[/ QUOTE ] Hydroboost does not like pumps with the mod.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

see if you can find out the pressure on one of those. i forget what the pressure is suposed to be on a hydroboost pump but its highre than normal. alsthough ive seen several people use a normal chevy pump.

why would it not like the mods?

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because it's not designed for the higher pressure/flow. If you have the mods you will notice a pulsation in the pedal when trying to hold your self on an incline. It will also puslate when getting on the brakes hard. I got around it by running a bone stock pump to the hydroboost and an aftermarket KRC pump to the steering.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

stock caddy pump puts out 750 psi...(Ididnt think it had three ports...does it?) chev hydroboost about 1100... the best way is to adapt the chevy pump by building/modifying the bracket... I did the bracket deal...
    good luck
    cam

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, the flow mod seems to have had no effect on mine. I've had no pulsing problems at all. Slow steering when on the brakes I got, pulsing, haven't noticed it... I'll be using a split system soon (if I can get some projects finished) to aleviate the slow steering problem (I've finally got all the parts).

7. willyswanter

Did you do flow and pressure mods or just flow mods? I noticed it after doing pressure mods...

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just flow. I have all the power I could want, it's flow I'm hurting on with a 2" ram plus Hydroboost. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. willyswanter

Yeah my 2.25" ram moves as fast as I can turn the wheel, the KRC pumps are where it's at. Then again I have a 1.5" shaft in there... The volume calcs workout to a 1.8" bore ram with 5/8" shaft or something like that.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i picked up a bracket and pump off an m1008 now i just gotta figure out how to sawp that tp my 350. maybe not the bracket but at least the pump.

69k5

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Jason do you have any pics of that KRC pump mounted up? I am very interested in that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Chris

12. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I could not make the brackets off my M1008 work on the small block. I obtained the brackets and pump off a step van ("bread truck", Chevy calls it a P model, I think) with hydro boost and a small block. The pump, unfortunately, was toast but the brackets worked with the M1008 pump after a little bit of grinding. The M1008 pump's reservoir was a bit wider and I had to grind out a slight "V" in the bracket in order to bolt the pump to it.

I had WTO do the mods to the pump and have noticed no pulsation.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Dumb question: What is WTO? Or what is the web address? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
  15. willyswanter

Sure thing boss:

[​IMG]

The stock pump used to be down where the KRC pump is now.

16. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Very cool..so you just mounted the KRC pump to a plate and welded the plate where the old PS pump was? Nice...I may have to do that...I have a KRC pump laying around from another project...I think that may be the hot ticket for the hydraulic assist here this spring /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Chris

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could not make the brackets off my M1008 work on the small block. I obtained the brackets and pump off a step van ("bread truck", Chevy calls it a P model, I think) with hydro boost and a small block. The pump, unfortunately, was toast but the brackets worked with the M1008 pump after a little bit of grinding. The M1008 pump's reservoir was a bit wider and I had to grind out a slight "V" in the bracket in order to bolt the pump to it.

I had WTO do the mods to the pump and have noticed no pulsation.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the tip. I hadnt thought about any p vans. I had looked at the m1008 bracket and it didnt look promising so i was looking at modifying the 350 one. ill check it out this weekend. if all else fails ill look for a jy with a bread truck.

69k5

18. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Do you know how much pressure and volume the KRC pump puts out?

Also, does anyone know how much volume a stock hydroboost pump puts out? It was stated earlier that it puts out 1100psi, but I am interested in gal/min. also.
    Thanks

19. willyswanter

From discussions I have had with Matt at WTO and Jeff at Howe, the most that can be squeezed from a stock p-pump with just the flow mods and stock internals is about 1.1 gpm. But it's more like .8 or so on average. The KRC unit has a pressure of 1450 psi and the flow is adjustable from 2 gpm to 3.7 gpm. I run the 2.8 gpm valve in mine and it's perfect for my setup. I had the 3.7 gpm valve in it and it was too sensitive. This is with a 2.25" double ended ram.

20. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the 3.7 gpm valve in it and it was too sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you saying that the steering was too sensitive, as in you barely turn the steering wheel and the wheels would react? Also, I may have missed this, but how come you didn't just use the KRC pump exclusively instead of using the stock and KRC pump?