Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydroboost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RUSS84K5, Nov 28, 2001.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I know Hydroboost uses PS fluide to add preasure to the brake MS, dose it still use vacume as well. Seems to me that the two are inline but still sparate and could work.

Thanks
    Russ

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

No.... no vacuum if hydraulic is used.

Marv

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

How hard is it upgrade to a Hydroboost system? What would you need other than a PS pump and a Mastercylinder?

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Apparently it's not too hard at all, I havn't done it but there are a few people who have. Just find a chevy with it and take it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=247326&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>Check out this old post.</a> There are a couple other threads about this too. I just picked the first one I saw.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

actually you dont need to change your master or ps pump.
    the ps reserviour has an extra return line fitting, the pressure line goes first to the brake booster then to the steering box (or vice versa cant recall) the booster replaces the vacuum booster

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I've done this swap a couple times, so it must be easy.[​IMG]

Everything said here so far is right. If your pump reservoir doesn't have the dual return tubes coming out of it, you can just use a t-block to join the two return lines from the HydroBoost unit and the steering box before routing them back to the pump.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

What are the advantages of a hydro boost over a regular vac. booster. I hate my vac. booster. My power brakes are hard. The idea of a vac. booster is to make them power brakes, but after two replacement boosters they are still hard to push. Both boosters checked out fine. Does the hydraulic system work better?

8. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I've found the braking force to be much better with less pedal effort with the HydroBoost. It is especially helpful if you have an aftermarket camshaft that doesn't produce as high a vacuum signal. My experience has been that this swap is even more effective than a rear disc swap, although the two changes together are even better. Even without the disc brake swap, the HydroBoost is better than vacuum boost.

Just keep in mind that your power steering pump and fluid are now doing double-duty. Make sure that your pump is healthy and the fluid is clean and full. Running a small cooler on the return line is also a good idea.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What year truck did the hydroboost come on from the factory? Just wondering. Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

10. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Thanks so most larger trucks 1 ton or more use this system? what trucks came with this type system so I know what to look for in the junk yards, or does anyone make a retro fit kit

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hydro boost assy's came in 6.2 diesel Blazers &amp; half through
    one ton trucks with 350's,454's and 6.2's. You should be able to score one from the bone-yard no sweat. Just try to get all the pieces including master cyl push rod.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Harley and Slider,

Jim has it correct, AFAIK. Seems that most diesel trucks and 1-ton rigs came with the HydroBoost. They shouldn't be too tough to find at the wrecking yards. Like Jim said, you want to find a donor that you can get a complete kit from. Watch out for the push rod for the master cylinder. If you can get it, you may need the brake pedal, as well. The mounting point where the rod connects to the pedal assy is positioned differently than the vacuum assist pieces, at least on the automatic equipped trucks. I've seen others post that they didn't need to change their pedals to make it line up. However, both the swaps I did needed the different pedal.

As for the boost unit, itself, I had mine rebuilt by a local shop. It ran me about $100. New/remanufactured boost units run about $300.[​IMG]

Robb

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thanks 502. Sounds like something I will definitly be looking for down the road. Thanks again.

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.