Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydrobooster leak help

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tp85, Jun 27, 2005.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hi guys,
    It seems my hydrobooster is leaking power steering fluid. I tried to find the search function on the board to no avail.

Could someone please tell me what my options are? Are there o-rings/seals etc. that can leak, or does this normally require replacing the hydrobooster unit? Do you guys have the procedure documented somewhere? Do I have to break open the brake system...needing to bleed the ABS unit and brake lines?

1994 K2500 Suburban

Thanks for your help.
    Tom

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The hydroboost unit is mechanically coupled to the master cylinder, not hydraulically, so as long as the master is not leaking, you don't need to open the brake system or bleed it. You'd just unbolt the master from the hydroboost, just like you'd undo a master from a vacuum unit. Basically, the hydroboost has a rod that pushes the piston in the master, and no fluid should get in there (I say should, as mine had brake fluid in it when I got it ... doh. New master in that case.)

I see rebuild kits on Ebay for hydroboosts from the the military... or the local parts place will sell you one for $100-150 exchange, I do believe.

HTH.

-- A

3. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i thought i had the same prob but after replacing the booster in figured out it was the crappy/beat hoses, fluid under pressure really travels.... :blush: try replacing the hoses first, it solved my problem but 150$$ later than it needed to...