Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydrogen Boost using AIR Pump!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bpiccioni, Nov 18, 2003.

1. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

The prospect of using a hydrogen boost to increase fuel economy was mentioned in this thread:
    Looking for Better MPG Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions........ but it seemed like the tangentiality was growing, so I reposted here.

Im still reading the hydro boost page posted in the above thread Hydro Boost but it sure seems to me that we could use our existing AIR pumps to deliver hydrogen to the intake, rather than junking our A/C Systems as described by the jeepers who wrote the article. I cant think of a better way to keep my AIR pump and stay 'green'! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have to confess that some rather large MPG claims are made in the article - almost to the point that my skepticism nearly keeps me from posting this here. Also, I would have liked more concrete testing evidence than was provided - however, even if a minor MPG gain is more realistic using a Hydrogen boost, it's still worth the discussion. I am probably gonna tinker with this as I have a lot of time on my hands w/ my current unemployment!

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im goin to try to build it this weekend. looks like it might b interesting. but im gonna use my PCV valve to suck it in. then i will prolly also put a nipple on the air cleaner to suck some in. ill hafta see how it goes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Yah, Im of about the same mind - I'm gonna try to get something setup in time for a little roadtrip this Saturday.

I have an 87 TBI with a PCV that goes right into the throttle body, but I dont see why I cant just also use the PCV valve. BUT, I have a breather filter hole in my air cleaner assembly, so I might be able to remove that breather filter and just run it into the air cleaner assembly through said hole.

OH - one other note - If it seems to deliver any mileage increase, I will take pics and post up/write an article.

4. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I posted the original link and I have been researching the hydro-boost for some time. I really need to say that hydrogen is very explosive and can ignite from a very low energy source such as a spark from static electricity. While I personally believe that it is safer to use than gasoline, you need to have a very profound respect for it.

I do like the idea of using the AIR system to inject the hydrogen. Also something that doesn't come across in the article about using the PCV is that you need the connection to the hydrogen to be a siphon. Kinda like the cheapo type to drain a waterbed. It's not made clear from the drawings.

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I hear you about the drawings not being very clear! It would be great to see some pics or possibly some exploded diagrams of that guy's hydrogen boost setup.

Im not sure I get what you mean by siphon - I saw the breather hole in the top of the electolysis container, and also read about a bubbler connected to this breather that would then aerate catalyst solution, but didnt see anything about a siphon.

6. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

In diagram 7, he shows a completed system using a pump to move the gas into the intake.

Later, in the section called Inprovements Section, the diagram has no diagram number on it, he shows using the PCV to move the gas into the intake. What he is really doing is using the PCV system as a pump. He shows a T-connector there. I think instead of a T, he should have a siphon there. The gasses flowing past the siphon will create a slight vacuum (instead of positive pressure, as is the case of the T) to draw out the hydrogen. It's not in his diagrams, but a slight refinement.