Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydrolocking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Have any of you guys ever hydrolocked an engine before? how much water did it take, like was your hood under? Where are stock intakes come in seem pretty vunerable. My friend with a 95 Tahoe's intake goes to the fender, looks like water would have a much harder time getting in. I am just worried when going through some mud trails that have ruts filled with water, and the water sprays up, it will get into the intake, should i not worry so much?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I would think you would have to be in water above the intake to get water in the intake, unless you dont run fender wells.if water is at the same height, it GONNA get in. Water has a way of doing that.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't go so fast as to plow water, you won't have a problem until it reaches almost hood height.

Problem is, many people go into the water way too fast, which pushes a large swell right up along the core support to the intake level.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It actually only takes a fraction more than your combustion chamber volume of water to lock and bust your motor. It can't be compressed but rods can! It's also easier to crack a head than compress water....ask me how i know!!
    But seriously, it only needs a slurp that happens to go to one intake runner and it's all over. If the motor was just idling or there abouts it would prob just lock the motor without damage. Mine was spinning 'a little bit faster' and I got a very bent rod that locked and bent the crank and cracked the head too! Must've been my lucky day!!!