Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hypertherm PowerMax 30, any experiences yet?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Feb 1, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thing looks like just the machine I want. I want a 110 unit I that will cut 3/8". Thats the max I ever cut really cut. I used a Hypertherm 380, and that was a nice machine, the 30 only looks all of better and more portable. Would be nice to be able to take it to a buddy's shop when they want me to do some work for them(which happens from time to time and is never ideal).

I plan to very shortly purchase my new welder and either a bender or a plasma cutter. Plasma cutter stands to be more useful overall(even though I NEED both items).

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not sure of the Hypertherm, but my friend just bought a new Miller Spectrum 375 extreme, Man I was impressed. Very small(size of a shoebox!) and portable, 110 or 220, very lightweight ICE torch, all fits in its own case. I will be ordering my own real soon.

Clay

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any idea what he paid? I'm looking for slightly under $1100.

4. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well he bout crapped himself when I found them for around 1150-1200 online w/ free shipping. he paid a little over 1400 locally.:haha:
    I am gonna order mine online from www.cyberweld.com

I borrowed it to use for a bumper project, I was sold on it in less than 10 minutes. :D

Clay

5. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I got my Hyper Therm 380 localy for about 1100.00, and I am very pleased with it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Back to the top. I have enough saved up to go buy it, just wondering if anyone has any experience yet.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Miller makes a good welder but there plasma cutters leave something to be desired.

Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics. Either of those brands and you'll have good luck.

In my experience all these machines are over rated. If it says it will cut 1/2", more like, it will cut 3/8" and you can mutilate the 1/2" in to two pieces over time. Take a look at the cut and sever capacitites and drop them by a thickness.

Other things to factor in are consumables costs and life expectancy. Who you have to deal with if there should be a problem. My supplier is local and if I really need to put my hands around his throat, he aint far away!:haha:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with Kert I have used all the machines listed above and if they say it will quality cut 3/8 it might in perfect lab conditions but in the real world you gonna be doing alot of grinding. Of course you will be doing alot of grinding with a torch too. We were messing around with the miller and switched it from 110 to 220 and it cut the thick stuff better on 220, on 110 it was worse than just doing it with a well set up torch.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I mainly want a machine for sheet, 3/16" and 1/4". 3/8" once in a blue moon, when making trusses or something similar. Even then once I get a bender, I'll probably start doing more tube work.

I also want a 110V machine for portability. Take it to another guys garage to do some work for him, and just plug it in, not looking if he has a 220 or what. The built in regulator is a nice feature on the Powermax 30 as well. No regulator to get knocked off or damaged in transit.

Though as I look, the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 looks like it may fit the bill. Using the "once size down" theory the two machines look pretty similar. Hmm... have to talk to the guys at the shop I go to. I know they haven't even seen a Powermax 30 because I went in and asked about it. They had no idea what I was talking about until they looked at the newest sales info from Hypertherm.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  10. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Let me know what they have to say...I'm on the fence right now between those exact same models but need to pull the trigger soon.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My local welding shop just got one in. I took a look at it when I picked up my MIG.

After seeing it, I WILL own one soon. The thing is HALF the size I expected it to be and so freaking light. I may wait until next month though. The chain of stores that our local one is a part of is having some big display thing up in Allentown. Test out welders and plasma cutters. I would like to try it before I buy it, but I have no real feeling that I will be at all disappointed with it.

When I mentioned it to Dad he sounded interested in splitting the cost with me since he could use it for his construction company.

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Are you only referring to the light duty plasmas, or the whole line. I am about to order a miller spectrum 1000 with machine torch, but if you really have had some experiences (good and bad) I would love to hear about it before I drop $3500.00 on one.

sorry about the hijack

Doug