Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hypothetical Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pugsley, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I have found that the state will pay the tab to convert my K5 to "eco-friendly", but this also includes replacing my engine with a stock rebuild 305 (and refusing to let me keep my 350 after the swap). The question at hand is - What would be the likelihood of a stock 305 spinning 35's with 3.73 gears without major modifications or other requirements (Like running in 4Low just to get up 6% hills) I already know the answer to this, but need a little backup to convince the family/forums/images/icons/mad.gif that there is just no way to run a 305 without funneling a bunch more time and money into it - or having extremely degraded performance, along with a creamed 700R4 in a short time.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm curious how they are going to confirm displacement? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Or cam spec's (within reason)

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A 350, with the same parts bolted on, same compression, same cam, everythign that can possible be kept the same, as a 305, will ALWAYS outperform the 305.

As to that "green" crap (not that I hate the environment) ask "them" how it makes more sense to have to burn more gas (more throttle) and rev higher (more oil blowby) with a smaller engine, than running one that seems optimized (350) for our trucks? If they or anyone wants clean, cram us into Chev Metro's.

My 305 with OD and 3.08's got worse mileage than my current 350 with no OD, and 3.42's, same weight.

There are WAY too many variables to make going to a smaller motor an instant, perfect solution. You might blow cleaner smog #'s at idle due to less displacement, but under a real load, the 350 won't require nearly as many RPM's, nor as much throttle, to keep that 5000lb+ truck rolling as the 305 will, guaranteed.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, talk to the shop that is going to do it and tell them to just do all but the engine. and write it up as done complete.
    works for insurance things "so i have been told"
    but dont tell anyone i sent ya type o thing
    Grant

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

No clue on the cam, but they'll actually check the numbers (Really get screwed with a crate though, cause they got the little aluminum tag with the displacement on it)

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So after the 305 is "all done", have it bored and put your 350 pistons, cam, etc. inside. Now the #'s say 305, but it is actually a 350.

Or better yet, if they have to reclaim the 350, bore the 305, buy some 350 pistons and a 400 crank and make a 383 that has smog legal casting #'s.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

HUH?????? What are you talking about!!!! The state is gonna do what? My buddy has a 305 with 3.73's and 35" tires and it does good. Tell me more about the state buying you an engine. I'm all "cornfused"

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am currently driving a '84 with the factory stock 305 on 35" ProComps and 3.08 gearing. out side of the poor th700 shifting alot, it is fine. the 3.73 gears will fix alot of that. I say do it!

BTW, nice to hear from ya!