Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hyraulic vs Electric Winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Oct 6, 2001.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

What are the pros and cons of each. I'm looking at a MileMarker 10,500 lb hydraulic winch.
    Any suggestions? $800 or less.

Travis

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

If the truck stalls, you can't use hydraulic, unless you use a separate pump with an electric motor. In that case, why not just go electric?

I have heard problems with steering while the winch is in use if you use the pwr steering pump.

If you want a hard working winch that you can run for extended periods of time from a stationary position (i.e. you aren't the one who is stuck) hydraulic can be very nice.

I prefer electric. Bolt it to your bumper and hook up the leads to your battery. Works with the truck off or running, and they are usually a bit faster than hydro.

You do have to be careful about overheating them, and they will drain your battery quick if the truck isn't running.

If you intend to use it for four wheeling though, I say get an electric.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hydrolic(sp?) you need to have the truck running so that is a bad thing if your truck will not run you are out of luck
    electric they do overheat and drain batteries very quickly but will work with the truck running or not i have the warn xd9000i multi-mount and it has never let me down yet[​IMG]

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yup, like mudhog said... if your motor dies while your stuck... your stuck and have a dead motor.. if your electric you can atelast get yourself out.. so youll be unstuck with a dead motor atelast hehe

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter--> 20hp haha
    I got my 4.56!!!!
    Next.., 2in body and 37" SSR's!

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

if you are truly stuck, an electric without the help of the motor will not get you out.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

if you are truly stuck, an electric without the help of the motor will not get you out.

<hr></blockquote>

It would certainly have a 100% greater chance than a hydraulic winch. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

simple, if you stall your engine you take your key and start your engine back.lol
    seriously if your engine is dead and you try to winch without it you will also have a dead batery.

8. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about the motor running problem. I run an Edelbrock 1406 that's bad about flooding on steep inclines. I guess that would negate using a hydraulic winch. Looks like electric is the way to go, and maybe a second battery. Or at least a good set of jumper cables, LOL. Maybe a Warn 12,000?

Travis

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You guys need to get your faces out of 4WD magazines and get out in the woods and do some real wheelin'! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've helped a friend winch a CJ7 about 75 feet up the side of a mountain while the Jeep was laying on it side . The tool? A Warn 9000 lb electric winch. Couldn't start the engine as 1) the Jeep was on its side (even with EFI, you still need oil pressure to keep from wasting the engine) and 2) the radiator was pressed against the fan. That winch dragged the Jeep back up to the trail and then once we had the Jeep back on its wheels and the radiator clear of the fan, the battery still had enough juice to start the engine right back up. The CJ was driven back to the trail head to be loaded onto a trailer.

The hydraulic winches have a cool factor and can winch all day, as long as the engine is running. But don't count out the electrics until you've seen them in action. You may have to stop and let them cool for a while, but unless you're trying to winch up Surprise Canyon or something, it takes a while to drain a good battery. Run dual batteries and you have even more reserve power if you really need it. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, I agree. An electric winch is not just going to drain a battery instantly. I have seen an electric winch without the engine running either pull a stuck vehicle out of a hole or back on it's wheels many times with plenty of juice left in the battery afterwards to restart the engine.

Sure, you can't pull for really long distances with an electric winch without the engine running, but most stucks or rollovers only require maybe 10 feet of pull.

The only advantage for a hydraulic winch I have personally witnessed was on a ride last winter. The trails were very wet and we had several fairly stock vehicles with us that could not make it up about a 300 ft. hill. One guy in our club with a hydraulic winch pulled 3 or 4 vehicles up in a row. I'm sure an electric could have done the job, but may have required more breaks to recharge the battery and cool down.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

For wheelin electric is the best.
    For a flatbed tow truck hydrolic is the best.
    WARN!!!! Only!!!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>