Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hysteer and hydro steer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Mar 3, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I got my dana 60 and would like to do hysteer on it and maybe hydro steer...i see very few complete kits available but i do see alot of parts for the projects. WTO seems to carry a nice hydro setup but I'm not real farmiliar with the hysteer parts and what i will need to make the two work together. I guess with the lack of hysteer kits I would need a list of parts to gather...If anyone can help it would be great /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

try avalanche engineering. they make hy steering arms that work with hiem joints and tie rod ends.

3. rtigert

rtigert Registered Member

Even if they cost the same, I would go with the Hysteer. ORU makes the kit that I installed on mine and my turning radius surpasses what it was when it was stock (I have an 8" lift with 35's). I can now turn the wheel with ONE FINGER, even with the detroit locker in front! I had full hydraulic on my '98 TJ and hydro-assist on my '88 YJ..... Out of all of the vehicles that I have had, I still preffer the ORU cross-over conversion for the Burb! With the cross-over kit, YOU DON'T NEED HYDRO ASSIST!! I hope that this helps, Millsap

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Try steering with 1 finger while you're crossed up on the rocks with 42's... you'll be left with one less finger /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You're partially right though, hydro assist is not for everyone, but if you're into crawling and big tires, then it makes a huge difference. While on a wheeling trip last month I managed to bust my ram on the rocks, so I know what it feels like to have hydro assist and then to wheel without it... like going from a Porche to a Pinto.

BTW.. the steering on your Jeeps felt like crap because the are... well... Jeeps! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif j/k man