Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hysteer crossover?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MTPockets, Feb 18, 2001.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

stephen,
    now that i have finally found my dana 44 steering knuckles, i am curious if anyone you know has had both knuckles machined and two steering arms made for a hysteer crossover conversion.
    if not, will it work?
    thanks,
    robbie
    g'ville, fl.
    ps. removing the screen from the proportioning valve did the trick!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I looked into this a little a few weeks ago, tie rod to spring clearance is a problem. If you space the arms up away from the knuckles it would clear but then the drag link would hit the crossmember. Oh yeah I think the hysteer driver's side arm will bolt right on the knuckle. Any one else care to shine on this?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's pretty much the case, I prefer to leave the tie rod below the springs, then steer off the right knuckle with the draglink. This gives you a longer draglink, and a more positive steering motion. If you can put the tie rod above the knuckle arms, you'll have pretty good clearance for it, it's pretty hard to hit.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. crowley

crowley Registered Member

What if thehi steer set up was done with heim joints instead of tie rods? You could probually get both drag link and the tie rod back to the LH knuckle on top the spring, no?

5. Stephen

In this case heims may not be the right part for the job, they tend to sit lower than a tierod end and could cause clearance problems to the springs. A lot of this depends on the thickness of the spring pack. The custom springs I ran on my K5 were a 12 leaf pack (about 2.6" overall thickness) that made this stuff tough to do. A set of regular lift springs at 1.5" thick would be much less a problem.

6. crowley

crowley Registered Member

Thanks for the input, are you using GM 1 ton tie rod ends with custom drag link/ adjusters?

7. Stephen

Technically the ends we use look more like GM 3/4T or Dodge and ford 1-ton. GM 1-tons use a slightly larger shank which isn't really a weak point for any of the ends. The type we're using now do have a good bit more angularity than the stock tie rod ends while still retaining the short threaded shank of the tie rod type ends. We use jam nuts, they come with the ends, or separately too if you want.