Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am a damn fool idiot, or why we don't drive up widow maker in a suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I am a damn fool idiot, or why we don\'t drive up widow maker in a suburban

alright, so I went on out to sycamore Creek for some wheelin and what last night, and as the sun was rising this morning, decided to head over to widow maker, on suggestion of my kid brother. so, we get there, and I take a look at it. can't be too hard right? very true. starting up isn't hard at all. I make it almost all teh way to the slot before I realize the front wheels aren't turning, and the backs just digging... so, I start to back down. unfortunatley, got just a little of kilter, hit `that drop off' and immediately began going sideways. so I hit the brakes, feel the puckerfactor begin to peak, and have my brother hop out to assess the situation....

at about this point, I remember the fabled words of my friend Robert ( 73 K20 sub, 4 inch suspension, 2 inch body, 35 inch tires) `Don't do widowmaker... you're almost garunteed to flop over like I did' he told me this, as we stood assesing the damadge dealt to his rig... ball joints toast, ( from teh roll over, and roll back) steering colum/wheel bent from when he hung on for dear life, fender, sdented, and torn slightly, and barn doors wrinkled, and slightly harder to open and close right.

fortunately, I was able to pull it back strait, and NOT DIE, or flop... ( it took 2 K5's, and a couple snapped straps and cables to get his back on its feet) then I found some mud in the wash bed, and played in that for a while, which was later my downfall when I forgot that my front axle wasn't engaged to one of the hubs... had to chisle the mud out of the tires with a stick, and rock the sub back and forth for about 5 minutes before I was able to get it out of sand. it helped that my Gov-Lock suddenly decided to join the party, although it was in one of the more dangerous ways to join in... one wheel spinning quite fast, and suddenly it engaged, and I was able to claw out of the sand.

now I am sad, for I need at least 1 new hub, and possibly an axle to go with that hub. oh, and I'm pissed at my gov lock for being a bastard, and randomly engaging at dangerous times....

with the exception of near death, and sinking in sand, Fun was had, and Fun Will be had at future dates.

-Rich

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Re: I am a damn fool idiot, or why we don\'t drive up widow maker in a suburban

Glad you're okay. Sorry the truck got beat up, but it's yet another testament to the strength and durability of our vehicles. Take out your Gov loc and set it on fire.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

OMG, I know that spot........I lived in Mesa for 8 years and wheeled at Sycamore Creek every weekend when I had my 72.

You are NUTS to try that............!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Oh, never mind, you know that already! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Glad you're OK......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

looking back through my original post, I realize I was quite asleep when I wrote it... hehe.

I am deffinately dumb for trying widow maker, but as I said, I hadn't recalled until it was a might bit too late that Robert rolled his sub there until I was lined up and about to flop. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Note To Self: NEVER TRY IT EVER AGAIN EVER. I've only ever been in that position once before ( about to flop, with no real out, except pure dumb luck) and the last time was inadvertant. I was following my cousin Josh around the Anza Borrego desert state park, in `the dump' ( outside borrego springs) and started down a hill behind him. he was in his highly modified jeep, and I was in the sub. unfortunately, my truck weighing in at about 2 1/2 tons more then his jeep began sliding off the edge of this sandy burm. the back end basicaly began passing the front, and the only way I could slow it down was by holding the brakes. my dad ran and snagged a tow rope from Josh, threw it around the front of my bumper, and over the tail hitch of Josh's jeep. trough brute force, and dumb luck, I managed to onec agian not spill over sideways, and plowed sideways the rest of the way down that hill ( about 50 feet)

Note To Self: learn to read terrain better BEFORE getting myself into horribly dangerous situations...

here's an older pic of me crossed up at Raw Deal a few years back, taken ( and copyrighted ) by a local photographer... http://www.rockmodified.com/rockmodified/fsr/2003/rawdeal/pages/rawdealfsr_0028.htm
    http://www.rockmodified.com/rockmodified/fsr/2003/rawdeal/pages/rawdealfsr_0029.htm

so... yeah, I know I'm crazy/insane/mad/etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Rich

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

man i'am with you on that reading the terrain thing. why a few weeks ago at around 10pm we made it to a trail head, which we were going to drive down a little than park and do some winter hiking. well i jumped at the chance to be the first over this 6 foot high ice encrusted wall of snow... WRONG /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif not in a sub i don't... well its easy to pull out of that snow i said. but after starting a FIRE /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif in the engine bay when my alt wire melted from all the winching, i realized that 1. always get out and look first, and 2. thank GOD i keep enough crap in my rig to redo just about anything /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

glad your alright man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just so you know, a burb can make it up widow maker. My buddies 86 did,a nd he is open front and rear. It did break out his right rear glass though, because it doesnt fit through the tight spots on that hill. Between him, and my other buddy in his k5, they have now made all of them wide enough for full sizes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

whether it can make it or not, I don't reckon on ever EVER doing it again. Pucker factor was too high, and, since it felt like it was about to roll, witnesses lost money on it not rolling, and my friend rolled his burb there, methinks I'll not do that ever again ever...

I unknowingly did it in 2wd, since I had a broken hub, which is probably part of the reason I started sliding out: no power to the steering wheels. oh well, never again.

in positive news, all the rain we've had has got the place absolutely gorgeous with GREEN THINGS GROWING. I know, not impressive to you people that live in green states, but for the Arizona desert, Green only happens about once or twice a year for about 1 or 2 weeks total.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I know, not impressive to you people that live in green states, but for the Arizona desert, Green only happens about once or twice a year for about 1 or 2 weeks total.

[/ QUOTE ] yepp same here.