Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I AM an environmentalist *please read*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Jun 5, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i like it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm a environmentalist too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Lara, Whats your email. I read your signature and I have the funniest thing to supplement it! I would gladly mail it to you. You can email me at npickett@burnsmcd.com and I will reply with pic. You will definately dig it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Wonderful!

However, I think most of these "greenies" are more concerned with stopping industrialists (miners, developers, loggers, etc.) rather than stopping recreationalists... Personally, I'd rather see natural land closed to industralists (and unfortunately recreationlists alike) in order to preserve it... 'cuz once land is leased to private interests, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see it again.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

After seeing some of the damage done on the refuge I work on in MN I am disgusted. We get rednecks coming down and bashing through the steel gates and tearing up our acces roads and leaving trash all over. In the past I wished all the land could be open to public but now realize many of the areas that are closed are closed for very good reasons. Some are nesting grounds for bald eagles, large colonies of Herons and Egrets, and many easily damaged wetlands. However I think some land is closed for the wrong reason, but it is becasue of the irresponsible people it happens.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Excelent!

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Chevyblazin (Dave):

<hr></blockquote>After seeing some of the damage done on the refuge I work on in MN I am disgusted. We get people coming down and bashing through the steel gates and tearing up our acces roads and leaving trash all over. In the past I wished all the land could be open to public but now realize many of the areas that are closed are closed for very good reasons. Some are nesting grounds for bald eagles, large colonies of Herons and Egrets, and many easily damaged wetlands. However I think some land is closed for the wrong reason, but it is becasue of the irresponsible people it happens.

<hr></blockquote>

We all have to take responibility for our actions, and sometimes we need to take care of others irresponsiblity.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

excellent!!! i love that.. i guess i'm an environmentalist too/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

10. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

wonderful thread! i couldn't agree more with the article. I tend to believe that while "greenies" are more focused on industrial usage as previously stated, their actions are more reflective on the public (on us) because we lack the organization and funds that big business does. I am starting to support United and other organizations as I come into my own as a responsible adult and recent college grad. Many of the issues raised in this post are excellent. For one we must all pitch in and pick up trash that someone else has soiled our land with. we need to band together, to have a common voice. i don't know of any 4x4 lobbists that have the ear of government officials, but groups like PETA do, even though they support ELF, and will hopefully lose their tax exempt status. the thing that we need as a group is to better understand land use management. "greenies" for the most part are not informed merely passionate and loud. if we can be passionately loud about the truth and have the facts to back it up, things might start going in our direction. But if we all just sit here and argue about it in private nothing will get done. Please join an organization that actively supports land management practices.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with you 74k5inVA.

I think we need a NATIONAL OUTDOOR RECREATIONALISTS lobby that supports PUBLIC lands for PUBLIC use.

We need to get all the 4-wheel associations, local clubs, water craft, hikers, hunters (sportsmen), bikers, moto-xers, and all other OUTDOOR public land users to ban together, form one club, and champion "PUBLIC LANDS FOR PUBLIC USE".

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

My fear is - it will happen too little too late... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Soon, we may become only VIRTUAL outdoor RECREATIONALISTS.

Good luck to us all.

TO

12. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

you said it all good job in putting it to words!!!!!!

13. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

Thats a great write up. Unfortunatly here in Texas we do have quite a few people that abuse the land, and the people it hurts most are the responsible environmentalists like ourselves and thats starting to force alot of closers to places with some quality fourwheeling, camping, &amp; mountainbiking trails.

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

However, I think most of these "greenies" are more concerned with stopping industrialists (miners, developers, loggers, etc.) rather than stopping recreationalists...

<hr></blockquote> The "Greenies" are just as into stopping us as anything... everytime I drive by the Sierra Club office while at work going from one site to another I always slow down to see what they have in the windows. Usually there is at least one poster up about off roading destroying nature and we are evil....

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Off-Roaders are easier targets than big businesses. I suspect the "anti-offroad" campaigns will continue until that changes.

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think we need a NATIONAL OUTDOOR RECREATIONALISTS lobby that supports PUBLIC lands for PUBLIC use.

We need to get all the 4-wheel associations, local clubs, water craft, hikers, hunters (sportsmen), bikers, moto-xers, and all other OUTDOOR public land users to ban together, form one club, and champion "PUBLIC LANDS FOR PUBLIC USE".

<hr></blockquote>

The Blue Ribbon Coalition is exactly that....They support all forms of recreation, and they Lobby in DC on our behalf....

support BRC

One of the things we need to start doing is call them what they are..."anti-recreationalist". They've got their evil PC term for us...we need to do the same thing. So from now on...I think we need to call them Anti-Recreationalist instead of greenies, tree hugers, eco-nazi's etc.
    Take their tactics and use them for our benifit (without doing anything illegal of course).

And we need to come up with a PC name for us too!

17. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good post!

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Mudin4fun = Exactly!

Remember there is power in numbers. I think that is also key.

19. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Well, offroaders DO destroy nature as much as we might deny it. The Sierra Club feels it has good reason to cast an evil eye in our direction, even though our destructive potential pales in comaprison to that of urban sprawl. And as stated, we're just easy targets because we have no money, no power.

And if you review the Sierra Club's agenda (see their website), you'll see that their concerns over the offroader fall far behind their concern over national politics and big business.

-----------------------------------------
    The "Greenies" are just as into stopping us as anything... everytime I drive by the Sierra Club office while at work going from one site to another I always slow down to see what they have in the windows. Usually there is at least one poster up about off roading destroying nature and we are evil....

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Who's side are you on?