Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i am going to choke this thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by limey, Jan 31, 2003.

1. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding the engine on my 74 jimmy and i am fixing to put it back together the old rochester has the choke rod that attaches to a spring in a little box that is screwed to the intake. the new(er) carb with the auto choke I think it is should have a little box with two hoses i dont have that little box with the hoses can i buy one that screws on where I removed or do I have to buy an another intake manifold I can only find info about the old one I want to remove in my Haynes manual any info would be greatly appreciated

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The newer carbs have an electric auto choke. All it needs is one 12 volt wire...

Rene

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

sounds like he is talking about the hot air choke. The one that goes into the exhaust crossover.

Go to the junkyard and find a junk quad with electric choke, grab all the choke parts off of it and swap in an electric choke.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

be aware, you can't do that swap easily on all Q-jets. It canbe done, but its not a simple unbolt/bolt up affair. (dad converted his to electric choke, took some effort, I was surprised actually at how much different his particular carb was from an electric choke one)

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

the newer carb i have is the hot air choke that was just rebuilt if I dont convert it to electric choke I guess I will have to find a different intake will have to se if any buddies have one of an 80s 350 or something. trying to save cash saying its the trannys turn next week. thanks for the info its good to find out what you have. help is always appreciated

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

My quad off my my vette was hot air choke..... converted right over. It worked right after a bit of tuning.