Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am guessing this isn't a good bender for cages.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sample, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: I am guessing this isn\'t a good bender for cages.

WELL....
    Marv_springer Built his tube framed fun buggy on the exact same style one....
    he said its a bit tricky some times, but works.
    oh, and if ya have not seen pictures of it or seen it up close like i have... its one hell of a machine...
    Grant

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Well then, I just may have to look into it then. No, never seen Marv's buggy

Thanks a ton!

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Billy Ray down here built his Truggy with one OF Those! Same thing, pain in the @$$ and tricky at times, but worked great!!!! His pipes look like a 101 did them! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's a fawking pipe bender, cages are built from tube.

The only vehicle stuff I've seen built with this thing has be bumpers and sliders, and those were made out of pipe, and they look good, plus perform.

But!!!! Pipe is not for roll cages and pipe benders are not for bending tube. It all goes down to using the proper tool for the job.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The only vehicle stuff I've seen built with this thing has be bumpers and sliders, and those were made out of pipe, and they look good, plus perform.

But!!!! Pipe is not for roll cages and pipe benders are not for bending tube. It all goes down to using the proper tool for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I guess I'm ignorant, what is the technical difference between pipe and tube? When I think of pipe I think of the black iron stuff used for water/gas lines and such. When I think of tubing I think of thinner walled steel tubing that I would use for things like bumpers/armor, cages/etc..

7. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I guess I'm ignorant, what is the technical difference between pipe and tube? When I think of pipe I think of the black iron stuff used for water/gas lines and such. When I think of tubing I think of thinner walled steel tubing that I would use for things like bumpers/armor, cages/etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

Tubing has a much thicker wall than pipe.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That depends on the tube/pipe. Both are made in diff wall thicknesses. Pipe is made to cary things inside (water, grain, milk, oil, steam...). Tube is a structural member. However, small dia pipe is normally called tube when use in hydraulic systems. I can not tell you why.

9. bigjbear

If you need it now you can get it from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/headsearch.taf?function=Search for $200 w/ free shipping and save over $50. If you don't need it right away, get it when it goes on sale and save ~100. Or you can get the 12 ton on sale right now for $70 w/ free shipping. It is accually on sale in the store for $70, not on line, but if you call them they will honor that price. They run different sales in the store and on line all the time.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Tubing has a much thicker wall than pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't directed at you, farside. It just seems that we have a lot of people out here who THINK they know pipe and maybe don't.

Have you guys ever seen the wall thickness of a piece of Sched 80 1" iron pipe? Are you telling me that your average 1" tubing is heavier wall than Sched 80 pipe?

Other than the fact that they are "engineered" for two different purposes(one distribution, one structural), pipe and tubing are exactly the same thing- they are round, hollow, pieces of steel(of course, tubing can be square too but that's another topic). Their composition and wall thickness is what determines their inherent strength and their use.

Just make sure that the tubing/pipe that you use is rated for what you're building, whether it be a rollcage or a ladder.

And just to confuse you guys a little bit, remember this:

A PIPE IS ALWAYS A TUBE, BUT A TUBE ISN'T ALWAYS A PIPE. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Pipe is measured by its inner diameter and tube is measured by its outer diameter. A 2" tube will not fit in a 2" pipe bender and vice versa without damaging the tube, pipe or bender. You can get tube or pipe in just about any thickness with the right resources and that would be critical if trying to use that pipe bender to bend tubing as you'd be very limited on which sizes would fit those dies. While you can buy pipe to build a cage with, often it is of a lower grade steel so shop around.

12. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    However, small dia pipe is normally called tube when use in hydraulic systems. I can not tell you why.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A PIPE IS ALWAYS A TUBE, BUT A TUBE ISN'T ALWAYS A PIPE

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe that is why???

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

here is a crappy pic of marves buggy, it is strong as hell...ask my rear quarter panel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    \

[​IMG]

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would never bend a cage with a pipe bender. It is okay for small degrees bends, but nothing over 45 degrees. It strecths and kinks the tubing when it bends it, making it weaker in that area. A tube bender put a manderal bend in the tube, so it stays uniform in the bend, keeping it the same strenght in the bend. I have both, and use the pipe bender for little things here and there, but prefer my tube bender.

Dan