Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am in a jam, any ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ktedesco, May 2, 2004.

1. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Interesting day on the trail today. Made a trip up to a trail west of Denver (2hrs away) to do some wheeling. My rear 10b decided it had enough of this wheeling stuff. Anyway, I blew up my rear diff along with the rear driver side axle shaft. Now my truck is sitting up on a trail and I had to get a ride 2 hrs to my house (thanks firefighter184 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). Any ideas how to get it off the trail. I have to go about 5 miles (90% easy dirt 10% mild rocks). I am thinking my best bet is too disconnect the rear driveshaft, plug the np241, and drive out in front wheel drive. My question is, how can I keep the axle from sliding out. Is my only solution to drive a couple hundred yards, lift truck, push wheel/axle back in. It will take forever! I only need to get it off the trail and closer to the road for a tow truck. Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, any ideas!

Also, whatever damage may result to the rest of the 10b doesn't matter. I have a 14bff in the garage, almost ready to go on the truck.

2. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    No chance of another truck pulling you out to a tow truck?, I supose it depends on the trail. Goodluck.

3. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I can get the tug from another truck but I am worried about the axle shaft not staying in. Burblover is going to be in the area tomorrow and he offered to give me a hand so we will have his K5 as well as my DD (Honda Passport-don't laugh, its a daily driver)

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

OMG Kevin, I can't believe that happened (well, actually I can, I blew up my 10 bolt about 2 years ago...of course that's before I found this site /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, So I had it rebuilt) What were you trying to do? too much fun pedal? I don't know where youu live, but I'm sure it's close enough, so if you need some help, I'm up for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I'm sick of dealing with my own trucks problems, probably a good change of pace to deal with someone else's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

p.s. who was driving the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ghetto-ass trail fix #342:

How to keep axle in when you snap a semi-floating shaft-
    Cut yerself a log abouts 6-8 feet long and about 4 inches in diameter. Set her against the tire about half way up. Take a section of rope an' cut it in half. Lash one end of that there log to your rear bumper and de other end to one of yer steps er door handle somehow. Make it real ghetto-ass. Now, when you's drivin down the road, that log'll hold yer axle in real good like. Rub on your tire like a sumbitch, but it'll get ya out, promise. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id just leave the drive-line in and have him follow behind you and watch very closely the rear tire and if it starts walking out jack it up and push it back in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why not just do a trail repair and replace the broken axle then drive it out and home?

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

How bad is the axle? Is it trying to walk out of the housing? Anyway to get stock truck to where you are on the trail? How about a truck and trailer? Where is the trail?

9. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Hey Nick, I think some of your recent bad luck rubbed off on me. I heard about your truck. My truck is up on Kenosha Pass. I let them know at work that I need to go recover it, luckly my platoon sergeant is a wheeler and understands!

I wish I could pawn the blame on Kelly, but I have to confess, I was the one pushing the skinny pedal /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

You can get to the truck if you are careful with a stock truck. I don't think there would be very many places to get a trailer turned around. I would do a trail repair but I don't know since the diff is grenaded.

James, yea, the axle is walking out quite a bit.

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you replace the broken axle and C-clips, remove the pinion gear, and rear drive shaft; you should be able to drive it out then with the front differential. You might get lucky and not have to remove the pinion gear. Try it with out removing the pinion gear first. It will make the whole situation easier to deal with.

12. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

BTW, This is my first trail breakage other than a few u-joints. Does this make me official? (or SOL!)

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could try one of those little U-Haul car dollies. If you have a set of stock size tires and rims to put on the back, then back of your truck might fit on one of those.

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You could pick up a 10B from a junkyard and replace the broken one. Shouldn't take more than 30 mins and $50 to do the swap.

15. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

just pull out the shaft and tire and let the brakes ans the housing ride on the ground.? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

what 4x4 High said only X 10
    Why not just do a trail repair and replace the broken axle then drive it out and home?
    You get my AMEN !!!!!!
    2 pieces of plywood and 2 jack stands
    mabe a adapter u joint
    and 2 guys and a 6 wrenches and 1 hour lattler
    your driving
    get home & go 3 / 4 ton as long as your doing it might as well do it right

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I vote for trail repair too.

Get yourself a few 10 bolt parts and go fix it. There has to be someone in your area with a carrier, c-clips, and axleshafts that you could either buy or borrow. Pop the cover off and see what the carnage is. Really it sounds like you need an axleshaft and some way to hold it in the axle...ie the carrier, spiders and c-clips.

Pull the rear shaft and make sure the ring and pinion are not going to lock up on you (assuming that is what you grenaded). Drive it out of the there on the front shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Kevin, how did you make out with this?

19. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

How come nobody mentiond the handy mans secret weapon.

Duck tape the bitch in /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

and if that doesent work i think the trail repair is a good option /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well did you get it back home?