Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am in need of help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Jul 24, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I got a problem , not in a blazer but this forum is my last hope! I have a 1985 caddy that has a 307 oldsmobile motor in it. It is set up just like a chevy so I figured you guys could help. Problem is the motor won't reve above 3000 rpm! It just bogs down! We brought the car many places and they all had different things to say about it. I already have rebuilt the carb on it this morning and it is getting proper fuel. I need this thing to get ot work in the morning cause my Father has my truck. If I can't get it fixed I am screwed! Has anyone had a problem like this. I am begining to think it is an ignition problem. Can an ignition module cause this problem. Any info anyone can offer is beyond greatly appricated. Thanks in advance.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Ignition module sound's like a good starting point.. but how about a clogged Catalytic converter?
    I've seen clogged cat's cause problems like this..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A clogged fuel filter will also cause this. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a clogged cat to me.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can unbolt the exhaust from the heat riser valve and see if it runs better (basically without an exhaust system) and if that fixes the problem, I'd say it was the cat. Fuel filters are cheap, so you might just change that anyway.
    I've got my money on the cat thought right now.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My guess would be cat. also.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the Cats also. You could try reving it up while you or someone put's thier hand at the exhast tip to see if it as any power behind it.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

One other thing you can check... If i remember right that old of a car has a distributer on it.. check the cap and rotor to see if they are bad... plugs and wires are something else that you should look at.. pull a plug and look at it.. I had a mustang that would do just about the same thing... i got to looking into it and my cap had a crack in it.. well i sprayed around it will a bottle of water and had a friend rev it.. you could see the spark shoot out of where the crack was when it got so far up in rpm.. arched out to the block.. well i replaced the cap and rotor and that took care of my problem... just something else you could look at...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My friends car had the same prob. It was at night when I looked at it. I had my flashlight on and looked around and coulden't see what the prob was. As soon as I turned off my flashlight I could see purple glowing "fuz" all over the plug wires. Replaced them and no more prob.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

10. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys guys. I am 99% sure it is not the cat. because it is new within the year and the exhaust does not seem restrictive. Not to mention that the thing will roast the tires as long as you don't take it above ~3000RPM. I am gonna try some of the cheaper stuff that it needs anyways like cap and rotor first before I spend the $80 that everyone wants for an ignition module. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Thanks again,
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Is the mechanical advance in the distibutor frozen up? Or is the advance controlled electronically?

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison