Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am looking at aDiesel with a 7.3 help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ramjet gmc, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Any one know I am looking at a hord Excursion 2000-03 Diesel with a 7.3 and auto 4 speed can any one tell me if this is a good motor or combo and I new to diesel motors is their a draw back I may not have thought of ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Ok the next thing I know I will get blasted for looking at a ford but the suburban is not available in diesel and ford will cost less too /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Honestly - I have considered them in the past also. Just couldn't go through with it.

3. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

The 7.3 is a good engine. I had a 1999 F250 4x4 7.3 and I loved it. I kick myself almost daily for getting rid of it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. YOu shouldn't have any problems with it if it has been taken care of. Fact is, I've looked at getting one, but they are still too expensive here in Houston...even used ones.

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The only drawback I know of them is that parts are extremely expensive and Labor too.
    Good engines otherwise.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

And they sometimes tend to just shut off on you going down the road because of a bad cam sensor. Parts are outrageous and there is almost nothing you can do yourself on them without special tools and a scan tool.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4 speed auto is pretty good. I drove a 2000 crew cab F250 4x4 with one in it behind the 7.3. I was rather impressed considering the rest of the truck was junk. I still can't get used to anything other than a 700, 400, or 350 auto. It seems all of these new trannies "hunt" for gears too much for me.