Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am NOT a people person

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have this thing at my school in the engineering department where student volunteers sign up to call alumni and ask for donations for the engineering department for lab equipment and such. I have to do this for a few hours because it's required for one of my classes.

I'm the type of person that'd rather set my hair on fire than call a stranger on the phone...especially asking them for money. (gulp) Wish me luck.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Its dinner time in my area....

Id let you have it :deal::p:

3. mikey_d05

I'd let me have it too...I get calls from Mankato State where I did two years when I was still in high school and I just hang up on them. :doah:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Theres no way to just say you did it?:crazy:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

it can be fun if you are thick skinned about it.. at least you are calling alumni who might have had to do the same thing when they went to the school, and not total strangers with no connection to your cause..

When I was more active in my camaro club, I was the guy who called on companies for donations and door prizes.. as long as I had a good answer for the question " what do I get out of it"? I was golden.. I got a digital dash from one company because they liked the fact we were tied to a charity, and that I called the president direct, rather than beg via an impersonal letter.

anyway, hopefully they give you a script to work from.. if it was me, I'd mention how much previous donations helped my academic career, and that you are trying to do the same for the next generation of students, and need his help to do that. appeal to their pride as an alumnus, and they should melt..

and don't let them off the phone until they say no at least three times.. persistence brings victory.

Tom

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, we're the exact same personality. I'd prolly kill myself before I did that, lol! I don't even want to call people I do know/like on the phone... let alone total strangers... :grin: :thumb:

j

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

hello, im "insert name", and im a money hungry whore, well not really, but the school you graduated from is, and my graduation could depend on your support and generosity, where can i send your donation envelope to?

8. mikey_d05

Well, I wanted to kill myself but put my game face on and did my best sincerity act. Chat 'em up for 5 minutes or so, commend them on how generous they've been in the past, do a quick mental math manuever and total up all their donations over the years and tell them the total, then ask for a few hundred dollars, and explain that it's really nothing compared to the total that they've donated over the years. I could charm my own pants off if you held a gun to my head.

Guess who raised $3200 tonight? Not you guys...:whistle:

For the record, I don't ever want to do that again. :doah:

Oh, and Jek, you're totally right. I've never spoken to most CK5 members on the phone because I just flat out hate phone conversations. Grab a beer, put your feet up, and I'm good, get me on the phone and I'll sound like my weight is 10 times my IQ.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I tend to be lazy about calling people for that reason but once im on the phone for 5 minutes im all good:rolleyes::D

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmm... me thinks there could be a psychological link between a) not liking to talk on the phone and b) interest in truggies/buggies and the engineer asthetic... :thinking: our rigs are pretty similar and we both hate phones.. and like CK5. A few to many 'coincidences' here IMO... :thumb:

j

11. mikey_d05

I don't think you like truggies, you never post pics of yours! :p:

Come awn J, give it up, I'm dying to see what you're building.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

just think of the funny stuff you can tell us about it. that helps me do stuff i don't want to.i think maybe something will happen to give me a funny thread.