Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am not a post hijacker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1-ton, Jun 20, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyway....

What I was bitchen about, in another post on another web site, was how Nancy Reagan got the States to raise the drinking age to 21 by threatening to withhold federal highway funds, and how her "just say no" campaign is what lead to pre-employment drug screening. I am old enough to remember the old America back when we had more fun and freedom drink beer, drive fast cars, and get a minimum wage job pumping gas without a damn pre-employment drug screen.

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

anyone know if 35" tires will fit if I lower my blazer 4" and remove the wheel wells?

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I would ask you what the [darn] are you talking about, but it's apparent that the "Just Say No" campaign missed one............

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

sheeeeeeeit... I want some Arby's, see y'all later...

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

One time, in band camp,......

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    So what oil pressure will I run if I put in a high volume oil pump?

J/K /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I didn't mean to highjack the post /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    As for your comment, I totally agree!
    Out here they are dropping the legal limit so low that you can't have a beer without going to jail and if they don't do it they will loose highway funds. Isn't that blackmail?
    Funny thing is that we pay for thoose funds and the comunists <sp> government is working againts us /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Pretty soon they will tell us when we can have sex!
    I really miss the old days and if this [darn] keeps up, I might need to start a USVIK5 site! (US Virgin Islands K5 site). My county just past a law to not allow smoking in ANY public place (ie bars, resturants, etc...). I don't mind walking over to a bar in a resturant for a smoke and if I lived in FL. it might be different but this area is Freakin freezing outside in the winter! It's almost cruelty out here. I think dogs have more rights these days.
    I grew up in Detroit and we had hot cars, cold beers and a lot of fun. I feel sorry for all the new programed children that are to come. They take our trails, they take our beers, they take our fun, what is left? I think I'll move to state with $hitty roads that doesn't need the money so I can be free again. Hell, I drive a K5 anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we have crappy roads and have the money, whats with that?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I was just going to post up something on here, but now i forgot what i was gonna say,,,, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifgive me a minute or so, i'll think of it.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i wont evne start with how bass ackwards it is around here, it has become apparent in the last 3 or 40 years that cty and state govt' is definitely out for itself and only itself and not out for the citizens, we all know this and continue to let it happen and even get worse and worse, i assume that evnetually maybe it will all collapse, maybe, or citizens will all remain easy pushovers, and we will turn into being just like alot of countires where the gvernments rule the citizens' daily lives almost completely, you guys who were my age back even only in thjje 80s and 70s had it pretyt much made in regards to getting away with pretty much murder when it came to going out partying country cruising drinking doing whatever, nowadays its so damn strict you cant even walkk oput the front doro without having to abide by new restrictions unless you wanna get put in jail for some stupid little retarded thing, i hear stories all the time form local folks n their 40s and usch about what fun they had when they were growing up and alot of the stuff they did and got away with blows me away /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and not just once or twice, but all the time!
    we have boring lives as young adults in current times, and i mean freaking damned boring,. there is really nothng to do that is interesting without getting put in jail, for real,

just my $.02

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My county just past a law to not allow smoking in ANY public place (ie bars, resturants, etc...). I don't mind walking over to a bar in a resturant for a smoke and if I lived in FL. it might be different but this area is Freakin freezing outside in the winter! It's almost cruelty out here. I think dogs have more rights these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, but as a non-smoker I might want to visit a bar that isn't full of smoke or worry about people in a resturant giving the waitresses cancer from second hand smoke day in/day out (my wife was a waitress at one time).

You can smoke all you want in your own car and home but why would you want to force everyone around you in a public place to inhale that crap?

But as far as drug tests, havent failed one yet. Dont know why it should be a problem either. Employers get better insurance rates for having a drug screening program, it really doesn't have much to do with the government "Just say no" campain. If I remember right that campain was considered the biggest failer because drug use continued to rise during that ad campain.

If the guy is old enough to remember when the drinking limit was 18, shouldnt you be a lot older than 21 by now? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 1-ton

Yes, I am older than 21. In fact I am more than double that age. You got to understand that I grew up in a different America than you, and we did not have things like laws dictating cigarette smoking, a minimum drinking age of 21, seat belt laws, child safety seat laws, or pre-employment drug screening. Hell, we did not even have to carry auto insurance by law back in those days. These things might be normal to you, but they where down right foreign to me. You can defend these things all you want, but you will never know how great it was to live in the old America. I know it is hard for you to imagine an America without these laws, but I am telling you "it did exist", and not having these laws was normal to us, and seemed bizarre to most older Americans when they where first enforced on us.

12. kennyw

I know it did exist. I grew up in the late 70's early 80's and never rode in a car seat, just sat in my parents lap (2 adults and 4 kids in a regular cab pickup truck durning the winter /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). Never wore seatbelts even though it was the law until after I moved out on my own, my dad still doesn't wear one. He can still leave the keys in his truck year round in that town and it has only been borrowed by accident once (drunk guy got in the wrong truck at the bar and went bar hopping to the next town). I even rode in the back of pickup trucks as a kid, many times standing up while searching neighboring fields for cows that got loose. My dad drove the milk delivery truck when he was 10-14 years old because the milk was delivered before the town cop went on duty /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

If you don't want new laws just fire the people making all these new laws. They seem to think it is their job to create more taxes, programs, laws, and beauracracy every day just because they get a paycheck from "The People" that pay taxes.

I think there are too many laws on the books but it really isnt anything new. Ever seen the stories on some of the old laws that were on the books around the turn of the century in New York City? There were some weird laws (by todays standards) on the books in the past. Actually some of them have never been taken off the books, just overlooked.

I think as long as we have law makers they will keep making new laws. Things change, it is just the way of life.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Blame lawyers and your country's addiction to big-money lawsuits, my friend....

14. 1-ton

I totally agree with you CanmoreK5!

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I am old enough to remember the old America back when we had more fun and freedom drink beer, drive fast cars, and get a minimum wage job pumping gas without a damn pre-employment drug screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freedom is not so you can do what you want , it to pursue what you want , not guaranteed .

Drinking is not the only way to have fun, try going WHEELING . I love beer, still drink socially , but sure as hell don't want to kill someone , or be killed by someone drinking and driving . I drank alot when younger, its lucky I'm here.

Fast driving is for racetracks . Streetracers kill people in wrecks, and give sanctioned sports a bad name. I got tickets also for speeding, among other things in my early 20's , losing your license sucks and teaches you.

I sure don't want to see anybody who can't pass a drugscreen working for me. I don't want to wonder if they are coming in today, or if they will cause an accident in my store or delivering something, what if they steal stuff . DRUGS SUCK, and I don't care if some people smoke a joint after work, thats not what I am talking about , I mean HARD drugs like meth/coke/heroine , these SUCK !!

Now think about what stupid things you did or saw as a kid, you'll realize why the drinking age is 21 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    [ QUOTE ]
    Funny, but as a non-smoker I might want to visit a bar that isn't full of smoke or worry about people in a resturant giving the waitresses cancer from second hand smoke day in/day out (my wife was a waitress at one time).

You can smoke all you want in your own car and home but why would you want to force everyone around you in a public place to inhale that crap?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the HVAC business, clean air is not cured by not allowing smoking in resturants and bars. It's done by cleaning the air and changing the air in the area. It's easy to do and have everyone be happy. The problem is proper enforcement and proper systems. The minute you tell a resturant or bar owner that they don't need it because it's non-smoking now is the minute they will shut it down completly. Now you can breath the cough from the sick guy next to you. Think about it?
    Someday soon, they will not allow indoor truck pulls and monster truck shows because the air is not clean enough for people.
    What else will they outlaw?
    So, have you ever been to a bar with a good ventilating system in your life or are you too young?
    It can be done and you wouldn't even know someone is smoking.
    If people are driving too fast down your steet, do you close the steet? No, you deal the best you can to correct the problem.
    If guys are driving off the trail and tearing up the area, would you just close the trail for everyone? or would you deal with the guys that are tearing it up?
    The real problem these days is that most people think just like you. If they don't like it then they just take it away.
    Some day you will learn just what I'm talking about but by then, it will be too late for you and your kids.
    [ QUOTE ]
    But as far as drug tests, havent failed one yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you get away with things too. Maybe even smoke, just not ciggerettes. No need to even reply to this, I don't care what you do but you seem to care what I do. I just hate when it's ok for some but not for others.
    Just like the BOTD, most of us like it but it only takes a few to shut it down. As you go through life, just be ready to give up alot of things you enjoy. As long as everyone thinks this way. we will all loose! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Enjoy the future dude /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW- Amen 1-Ton, I agree completly. (sorry, I really didn't mean to highjack)

17. kennyw

I have never smoked, drank or done any drugs in my life. Simple concept, if you dont do drugs you wont ever fail a drug test /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. But I would never work on any job that my step-brother is working on because I know he wouldn't pass a drug test if it was required and would probably end up hurting someone eventually. I also would not be comfortable in certain types of jobs not knowing if the people around you that you count on for a safe work environment are going to screw up because of being impaired by drug use.

I have never been in a bar or restaraunt that had a good HVAC system that could remove all trace of cigarette smoking, especially for the wait staff that have to stand next to the table to serve you while you smoke. No smoking in public is not taking away anyones rights, it is about protecting the rights of others to breath clean air. Not even close to the concept of closing down trails because of a small group of assholes that want to go off the trail and tear things up, they are clearly breaking a law not violating anyones rights.

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pretty soon they will tell us when we can have sex!

[/ QUOTE ]

They already tell us where we can't have sex. Sodomy and oral sex is illegal in most states and in the military. Could you imagine going to jail cause your wife was giving you a BJ in the privacy of your own bedroom and your somehow got caught by authorities? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I am not a drug user. I find it strange that I work for a government entity and operate government vehicles and equipment yet I have never been drug tested one time for this job. Not even during pre-employment screeening. I was hired 3 years ago.

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I hear what you are saying and I dont smoke, drink or do drugs either however banning a legal activity on public property is wrong IMO. Protecting those who do not want second hand smoke is one thing but the business owner should be able to decide if he allows his patrons to smoke or not and if he allows smoking he should be required to post SMOKING signs at the entrance so people can decide for themselves if they want to go inside or not. I do not think smoking should be allowed in public transit situations however since you have no choice, if you need to take a taxi, bus, train or plane you cannot simply decide to take a different bus. I dont know, I dont like second hand smoke and our family wouldnt choose to go into businesses that allowed it but I cant quite agree with an all out ban on it on private property.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. kennyw

I think the only reason I support banning smoking from public places is for the employees that have to work there, not the patrons. I dont have to go into a smoke filled bar (and usually don't have a reason to). But the employee's there should have the right to breath clean air in their work environment.