Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am now an owner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Bought an 89 Jimmy today, have a few questions. It has a little misfire, I am going to change the plugs now. It needs front pads, and probably rotors, is there anything special to it, or is it like changing any other disc brakes.
    Thanks
    AW

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good for you! I welcome you to being an owner of one of the best vehicles ever made.

If memory serves me correctly, didn't you post about the price of this vehicle. If you don't mind my asking, what did you get it for?

Yes, brake jobs are as easy as any other vehicle. The pads just pop out and the new ones snap in. If the rotors need replacing/resurfacing, it is a more involved job. The job requires a special tool to remove the wheel bearing locknut. (That may not be what it's called, but that's what it does.) Anyway, if you don't have a lot of automotive knowledge or tools, you might want to take it to a shop - seeing as how the rotors are going to end up there to be resurfaced anyway.

Good luck with everything. Also, when do the modifications begin. (Don't say never - because no matter how hard you try, if you talk on this board, you'll start doing modifications and never stop.)

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats and welcome!

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

The bearing lock nut is a job for the $10 tool you can buy from any auto zone, or parts store, it just takes patience to get the hubs apart. Grab a shop manual and dig in. Any questions along the way post here and we'll help out, well worth knowing how to do all this yourself incase something were to happen down the line. and much cheaper!

5. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I paid 4250 for the truck. I crawled up under it and checked, there is absolutely no rust. The body mounts aren't even really cracked yet. There are two small spots of surface rust just under the tailgate hinges, no where else on the truck. Everything works except cruise. I think I will try and tackle the brakes next weekend. Mods will start as soon as I get some money. I need to tow my Camaro, so I figure I should start with a tranny cooler, some air lift bags for the rear, and a nice hitch setup. Then I will go for more power, where is a good place to start? Headers?
    AW