Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am now completely out of the Blazer business

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Jun 3, 2002.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

First, I want to publicly thank Big_B for helping me by going out to check out a truck down in NC. I didn't buy that one, because the owner took too long to get the VIN for me. I wound up buying one that was closer, less expensive, and set up more or less the way I wanted (found it after Big_B did his thing). I went down to pick up what was supposed to be my new ride on Saturday. Drove it, checked it out as best I could, everything seemed in order. Paid the guy, started home with my wife following, and twenty miles into the trip (maybe less), it threw a rod. Had it towed off the highway, called the guy back, and he refused at first to do anything. Later he offered a few hundred for a replacement motor. One of the main selling points was that this rig already had a new motor. However, due to the distance from my home, it would have been more or less impossible for me to get another motor swapped in over the phone, and who knows what else was just waiting to go. To cut losses, we basically abandoned the truck at the tow garage and ate the money we paid for it. I accepted the guy's offer for the few hundred, so I'll get some of my money back, but I am still out nearly two grand. PM me if you want the rest of the truck, which seemed to be in good shape (body is rust-free, and there are other new parts, plus it has 15x10 turbine-style aluminum wheels which are hard to find), and I will tell you the name and location of the garage. If you are quick, they may not have had it carted off, and if they have you may at least get them to tell you where it went. I expect you could get a decent deal on it. The upshot of all this is that having been burned this way, there is no way we can afford another truck, and my wife is convinced that old trucks aren't worth the effort. I don't like the newer blazers myself, so until I can afford a '90s GM truck, or maybe a late-90's dodge, I am out of the truck business. I will probably keep reading stuff here for a while, but I expect I will eventually drift away. I have enjoyed hanging out with you all, and have gained a tremendous amount of technical info, most of which will now never be put to use.

2. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

LittlePig,
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Yes, playin' w/ these older rides sometimes bites us in the a$$, but....w/ a lil' luck....they can be fun. Hope you find the truck you want/need & everything works out. Take it easy,
    Doc

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sorry to hear it, maybe in the future when cash isn't so tight you could try again.....

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe I'm a prick, but if someone sold me a truck and the motor blew up after 10 minutes I would be getting my money back!!!! And if he refused, bad things would probably happen to the guy.

But that's just me.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

When I bought my truck, the motor was almost new (45K on it), but it sat and the owner told me it sat, so I was expecting it to go out. Well, it did and now I've got a very strong stroker in there and am happy as fiddle sticks with my truck. In a way, I'm glad the motor went out. It hurt me financially some, but I got thru it and have a better truck.
    IMO, when you buy a used truck you buy it as is unless you talk about a warrentee with the owner.
    I think you're being too quick to trash the truck because of a motor. I can only assume the rest of the truck is in decent shape. Motors are easy to replace. I'm sad to see a blazer being parted out because of a motor

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

come on man dont give up so easily...the blazer gods were just giving you an excuse to put in a tpi'd stroker 383...go for it

Later

7. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

If it had happened closer to home, I might have kept it, but I was over 200 miles from home when the motor died. I don't have the time/money/energy to make multiple trips trying to save it, and the garage where it was towed to wanted $40 a day for storage. I had to make an on-the-spot decision, and decided to cut my losses. I hated to do it too, since I think it was otherwise a good machine, but I really had no other options. The only way I could ever be in business again is if the truck showed up at my house with a donor motor sitting next to it, ready to drop in. Since I'm not owed any favors by anyone or anything, I'm outta the game.

8. muddin4fun

rent a u-haul pickup and trailer (tell them it's a civic that you're pulling) and pick it up man!

Where abouts do you live? I'm sure someone here could pick it up for ya!

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Do you have towing insurance? Sure you'll have to pay for the tow trip home initially and that will be STEEPPP but you just turn the tow receipt over to your insurance and they'll reimburse you. That, at least, gets it home so you can deal with it in YOUR own time. I'm agreeing with muddin4fun. A motor is expensive but if you can get a friend together and pull and install it yourself it's not THAT bad. You'll still be ahead by having a nice ride with the reliablity of a new motor. Compare that with saving another 2k and buying someone elses problems all over again.

10. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I live up in New Hampshire. The truck is in New Jersey. I can't spend any more money on this, by decree of the Holder Of The Finances. It would literally have to be total charity, including a running motor ready to drop in. I have no facilities for doing anything like a motor swap. Since the previous owner is sending (he says) funds to replace the motor, that would cover the R+R, but not the replacement motor itself. Also, I have no idea whether the garage it is at has had it towed off yet or not. I don't even know if they would let me change my mind on giving them the title, even if they hadn't done anything yet. If someone out there really wants to donate a running motor (the truck is a 78, so any gas engine should go in), and drag it and the truck up here, you'll be my hero/fairy godmother or godfather/guardian angel forever, but I wouldn't be able to give any financial assistance at all.

11. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Major bummer. I thought I had things bad fighting with a broken bolt in a head (you know, the kind of busy work that takes forever and ends up with no net improvement to your truck). I see you've had a much worse day - sorry to hear it.

In moments of pure vehicular frustration I think that it would be nice to have a 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 with Quadrasteer and pro-tec? plastic bed - too bad they don't exist...yet. Dealing with an older truck is a good way to understand yourself.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That really sucks dude!

I don't really understand your wife's viewpoint on this though. Pardon me if i step on some toes with my line of thought./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif It was OK to drive 200 miles one way to spend $2000 on another truck...but not OK to spend another red cent after that? So then it's equally OK to leave $2000 worth of truck behind with nothing to show for it but frustration? I'm puzzled by that thinking. My wife may not be a 4x4 enthusiast, but she'd never leave a truck behind in that situation...

I mean no offense to you or your wife, I just don't understand the thinking.

Good luck whatever you do!

Rene

13. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Basically, the thinking was that if the owner had lied about the motor (which he did), there might have been other things wrong, and if we had gotten it fixed, it might have turned into a money pit. She also, probably in the heat of the moment, was thinking that further time/money/energy spent would have to be taken from other things, and we don't have all that much of any of those at the moment. That includes the effort I would have to make during the week arranging things which I can't really do, since I have no access to a phone for long-distance calling during business hours. I am personally still not totally convinced, but without her support, there isn't much point in trying to go any further on my own. It wasn't really ok to go through what we did, but it would apparently be even worse to pour good money after bad.

14. muddin4fun

If you're basically just giving the truck away, why don't you find someone who'll take it and do something with it?

Sorry if you feel like I'm hammering you, but I really just hate the thought of a perfectly good truck getting parted out or going to the bone yard!

And I agree with tRusty...I don't understand that either /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I had to do something on the spot. I couldn't afford the garage's storage whie waiting for someone to take the truck.

16. muddin4fun

Someone in New Jersy, PLEASE take this blazer!!!!

Po 'ting! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well obviously you understand what you can and can't do more than anyone else here...

It sounds like it would be a great donor for the tub alone. I'm sure rust free tubs in Jersey would be sought after!

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Rene

18. bc87k5

bc87k5 Registered Member

hey little pig,

That is a sad scenario how your truck died so soon, I would have pulled off the oil pan, and stuffed the broken piston way to the top, dissconnected the plug wire to that cylinder, and drove her till she croaked again. Or until i got her home.

Just so you dont feel too bad, i bought a truck a week ago, and when i first looked at it, i didnt check the VIN's.
    the next morning when it was light out, i went to go look over my new purchase, i couldnt find any VIN at all. I called the police and they came and checked it out and found out it was stoled the day before i bought it.I placed an add "wanted project blazer, not running okay"
    This thief responded to my add and sold me a truck he stoled the day before.I lost the truck and i dont get my money back.
    I have a garage and i easily could have parted the truck out and made back my money. I have parted out over 10 trucks already, so it wouldnt have been hard to do at all.But, like you i trusted the guys word i bought the thing from. Now after all this crap, i may have to go testify in court against the guy, and unfortuanately the goof has my address.
    but, i didnt give up and i found an excellent 87 blazer 4x4, in need of a gas tank. I am a christian and i beleive god had it all in his plans for my life, i learned more from that one purchase than i ever was told about.Since i am always buying/selling older trucks, i needed to get some hands on in the legal dept.
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    one week older, a little bit more aware, and alot more sure, gods in control.

19. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Check your PM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

.... just curious - where in New Jersey? (I have family (in-law) there).