Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am SO frustrated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Dec 16, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I am SO frustrated UPDATE!!!

OK, I cant figure this thing out. I swapped in a 92 K code TBI into my 85 K5. I used a Painless Wiring 60101 harness. Everything is hooked up, no apparent vacuum leaks, no fuel leaks, fuel is being injected and I am getting spark but the damn thing WONT F**KING start. All I get is random sputtering. I have tried to retime it. I bumped it over until I got a good puff of air from #1 and lined up the timing mark, followed the proper firing order and still nothing but random firing...

Any ideas? :mad:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

when we installed a 350 into a friends 1994 s10 , we had a similar problem.
    it would get fuel right at the begining whish is what you might be seeing.
    this is called the priming stage. but it wouldnt start.
    he had one of the wires wrong that went to the fuel pump relay, which is what is needed to work to continue fuel flow.
    i guess make sure you are getting fuel after the initial priming , maybe thats your problem. good luck

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ditto the fuel thing. Try spraying ether (easy start we call it here) into the throttle body as you're buddy is cranking the motor. If it burst into life for a second or two it's a fuel thing. If it still just fires ramdomly you've got other probs like maybe spark lead order, vacuum leaks, timing...etc
    Good luck.
    I'm thinking of using that Painless kit. Is it good? Easy to use and covers everything??

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Distributor 180* out or way off? Sounds to me like a timing issue.

5. BlackDog714

Yeah, it was a great kit. The manual is a little scattered, but the support is great when you call.

6. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I had a issue with a buddies jeep that I done the sbc/fi swap to about a year and half ago. Ran good thru summer then on the coldest day of the year went out to fire it for work and it wouldn't run. I looked high and low when I got back from my regular job. Found the problem to be in the map sensor. Unpluged it engine fired right up. Had somehow shorted internal and was killing the signal to the distributor.

7. BlackDog714

Update

Ok, so I put the compression tester on and rolled it over to TDC on the compression stroke. Well it still wouldnt fire up, so I put a little throttle input and viola, it started to run. It ran like crap at first, then smoothed right out. My biggest problem now is that it wont idle. How do you adjust the idle on a TBI???? :confused:

8. BlackDog714

I did this, and nothing changed until I did the above...

9. BlackDog714

Does no one know?

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the plug for the factory TBI adjustment is plugged up in the right front side, next to the throttle... not sure if they're leaded closed or what, didn't look at it too close. my new CFM tech throttle body has the screw exposed for adjustment.

can't find the link i had to the article about removing the plug.. maybe someone will post it up.

11. BlackDog714

Is it odd that its not idling??? I thought that was one of the great things about TBI???

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm by no means an expert in TBI, just got into it a few months ago... someone correct me if i'm wrong please..

yes, that does sound slightly unusual to me. most probs i hear about are the opposite, in that it idles too high, which usually is attributed to a vacuum leak...

if its just falling off to a stall, i'd be guessing at the issue.. i did have a bad IAC act like that on a car i had once.. if i understand correctly, you had to pedal it to get it going? that was another symptom that bad IAC had...

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hit thirdgen.org's tech article section up. There is a bit in there about adjusting IAC and TPS.

I believe it applies to TBI as well as TPI.

14. BlackDog714

Exactly...