Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am starting to have a problem with my town

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ramjet gmc, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I am starting to have a problem with my town I have only the blazer and they are giving me smack on round 1
    1 a ticket for a unregersted vehicle on the property (the front tag was off) but is up to date and insured but no insption sticker – no outcome on this yet
    2 you have a unlawful driveway on the side of your dwelling – I do not know what to do on this yet any idea what rezoning will be? :doah:

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

S.O.B. I hate that crap. Well to do people can afford to sty in code, pave this and build that. I am on hold for my building because it requires a lot of rebar and 16X18 inch footings, 25X40 feet.:mad: Going to have to do all that myself, as I can't afford to pay pro's to do it for me. If it was out in the country, I could just pour a slab and put 'er up. Good luck, Bro'.:bow:

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

burn down city hall...no records...no fines...no problem.

but seriously, i dont see any way around laws...or city/town codes...i guess you could try and fight it...

when was the driveway built...could it have "been" there when you moved in? (wink wink) ive never heard of not being able to build a driveway, hell one of my buddies had his whole backyard paved back in maryland.

is it just a ticket, pay the fine, or is it a citation, where it has to be fixed and then inspected again?

ryan

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

my neighbors driveway is right on my property line. but then again, i live in SC, which has some pretty lax zoning laws.

i guess id call the zoning board or whomever is in charge of that stuff in your county/town.

if its ok with you neighbor, i dont see how it would be a problem, its not a structure.

ryan

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Only reason why they pass zoning laws is to provide a legal means to infringe on your rights (if your not wealthy) of what you can and cannot do with your property.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the only way they can legally check up on you.all in the name of safety.:haha:

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

step 1 : install front plate back on rig.

step 2 : get 4 cinder blocks.

step 3 : use jack and jack up ride.

step 4 : remove all 4 tires and install cinder blocks under axles.

step 5 : tell them its licenced insured and to have a great day the nasty way.:D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

protest it...don't let them "bully" you!

Dontoe..not to hijack,but my town gave me hemmroids when I went to erect my quonset garage too..the building department would not let me use a "floating slab" like the blueprints suggested (probably what your describing,by the sounds of it,with all the rebar ,etc...--even though 100+ homes were built with them not 2 miles away..:mad: ..said "they dont hold up in our climate,so they are not allowed anymore"..BULL...they were used in ALASKA ,why not here?:mad:

I went to the library and looked up the STATE(rather than "town") building codes..they stated all dwellings needed foundations ,but only houses were now required to have footings below the frost line..garages and "utility buildings" under a certain square footage could be built on "floating slabs".(mine was "too big"at 20x40'--a 24x24 detached garage would be ok though!)....

Our building inspector was a anal s.o.b.,but he said I could use a regular "wall and footing" foundation or build it on peirs(which is weaker than all the other ways in my opinion!),instead of using the slab shown in the blueprints,after much "discussion",and several visits to his office!--I think he just got sick of seeing me there 4 days in a row,and just wanted to get RID of me!:p: :haha: ..

I decided the cheapest way was to pour footings and a wall type foundation just like a house would use,and just use fibermesh concrete in the floor slab..no rebar!...its still there 14 years later,and nothings moved yet..and we had some pretty bad blizzards and below zero temps here...

There are a few cracks in the floor slab,but nothing serious..it didn't "split right down the center" like my buildings manual said it might without rebar in the slab..the blueprints showed about 200' of rebar made into "chairs" in the thick edges of the floating slab..way overkill!..

I see a very similar garage at a fairground in Springfeild MA,and it's arches were just set into a 2' deep trench, and then filled with concrete..it hasn't moved 25 years later either..seen 2 others in nearby towns built the same way,and no troubles whatsoever..

It was after I mentioned the state building codes,the other similar buildings that were built without foundations and merely placed on a slab,and the fact that my entire building weighs only 3500lbs,less than the vehicle I'm parking under it,did the inspector "bend" and finally allow it to be built the way I wanted too..I told him the foundation holds a Quonset DOWN ,more than it does UP..it would blow away like a tumbleweed in a 60+ MPH wind ,if not anchored to the foundation!..:screwy:

Our town has a lot of "stupid" laws..setbacks..anything less than 35' from a property line,NO can build,unless they grant a variance..they cried about my garage having a 10' high door..were afraid I'd be using it to park a tractor trailer in a residential area!..I told them it was useless if I can't park my 4x4 with a slide in camper in there--the main reason I wanted to build it in the first place!..:rolleyes: ..only 2 of several PITA "ordinances" yuppies that moved here recently got passed..

Like Mountainexplorer's post about it being illegal to warm up your car,or leave it running if your not in it!--some towns wont let you park YOUR TRUCK in your own yard,if it has a"bussiness logo" on it!..do neighbors call the cops if "Joe's Plumbing" has a van parked in your yard while they are fixing your pipes?? ...and I bet if you wanted to extend and pave the driveway behind the house ,so they couldn't see it,a variance would be required,or it would not be allowed at all!:mad:

I hate dealing with anal inspectors,and codes that change yearly..I have nothing againg building something correctly and safely..but they carry it WAY too far sometimes,and a lot of it is to just generate more revenue for the town thru fines,variances,permits,---and having to hire licenced contractors to do work you legally can do yourself..but will have a HARD time getting the inspector to "sign off" on..

.. I'm moving where there ain't no such thing as "building codes" if I ever leave here..IF such a place still exists..!I was hoping the Carolinas were not that way,but I guess its happening everywhere now..:( :crazy:

Sorry if this was a hijack..but I have a sore spot when it comes to towns,and stupid bylaws....:rolleyes: rant over...:D

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why is it illegal to have an unregistered vehicle on your property? So long as you aren't operating it on public roads who cares? What am I missing here? :confused:

j

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we've got the same thing here, just not enforced unless the neighbors complain. a couple of my buddies have come up with a solution to this... it says in the county code that you're allowed one competition vehicle on the premises per licensed driver permenently residing at the residence in question. what constitutes a competition vehicle? anything with a number on it. they've had up to 5 non-running vehicles stacked up in the driveway (side jobs for friends and family). county came by to bitch, out came the shoe polish. a number on the windshield, and each side window, and a nice big "race team" name across the back window. most of the time the race team name pokes fun at the neighbors who complained, or at the county.

i've personally had 4 here non-registered. my '79 K10 parts truck, my '86 C10, and my '95 and '96 Grand Ams. nobody ever said anything about it though. hell, i've still got 2, my GA is getting ready to have the engine put back in (FINALLY!) and my '73 is awaiting next year's derby season.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh I see. Lame. Does this mean you could get a ticket for having a golf cart or a go-cart on your property? They are vehicles...

j

13. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you can get away with it if you put a cover on it or fence in your yard when I lived in NJ thats what I had to do.

14. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I went through same thing when I bought my house. One of my trucks was not registered at the time and I parked it on the grass next to the concrete driveway. I have four trucks and the driveway is not big enough for all of them. Two days later I get a call from a zoning officer telling me that the truck will have to be moved or they would tow it. It turns out that in my town you cannot have an unregistered (no insurance or inspection sticker) car/truck parked on grass. But, if the vehicle is for sale you can have it parked on grass as long as you like. I came home that night put a for sale sign on it and they left me alone. The truck is now registered and insured, but later I found out, my girlfriend's mom works for the town, that one of my lovely neigbhors called the town on me. Look into your town's ordinance regarding vehicle storage. Every town's different, but from what I've heard most of them in this area are somewhat simillar and they cannot just go after you unless somebody calls them first.
    I was allowed to extend my driveway without a permit. I used 3/4" clean stone to make it wider and in Sayreville you can do that as long as you let the construction/zonong office know. The stone driveway is considered a temporrary driveway and I didn't need any permits or inspections from the town.

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats what I love living in a "hick" town. Whoo hooo! South Carolina rocks!:p:

Sorry I'm no help, only thing I know is that NJ smells funny to me.:doah:

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I went thru that sh*t last summer with city codes & such. I had $10k set aside for a 16x24 garage and the city code required me to do a foundation 48" into the ground, and it would have eaten up my whole budget.

My next move is out into the country....

17. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was helping my brother move into his college house many years ago in East Lansing, they cops there wait for the begining and end of semesters so they can drive around and ticket people parked on the their lawns loading trucks. I backed my truck up to his front door, within 10 minutes, a cop came by and gave me a ticket for parking on the grass, against city ordinace. Losers...that is why I live out in the sticks as far as I can, to get away from idiots making dumb laws. Whenever my mother visits, she stills says "You need to get rid of that junk pile out back, what do you neighbors think?" Neighbors, the closest one is 1/4mi away! Junk? You mean the spare D44 front and 12 bolt rear axles and various sheet metal parts. Not junk my dear mother....definatly not junk....

18. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

I had my blazer sitting next on the street in front of my house.... i usually let it sit there when it runs and whatnot and ive never had any problems with it. Well now that its broke down i forgot about tags..... 3 days after my tags experied a cop showed up and told me to move it and keep it off of the street:crazy: So i pulled it behind my house lol:wink1:

19. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Good solution! Me like it!

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

diesel4me has a point, if they see you've done the homework, which they have not and are too lazy to do, they'll back down. They can't be very intel if they work for the city; anybody in CK5 that works for the city is probably not a happy camper. We were installing a property retaining wall, dealing w the city, my wife was trying to get through the numbskull with numerous phonecalls. I had had enough, had the wife tell them I,m coming over; from what I heard, the bUtch on the other end must have squirt her rag. Resolved it with one visit. Oh, Merry Christmas, no permit needed. yet