Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I AM TO FAT what have you tryed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ramjet gmc, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well i have been looking in the meara and i need to do some thing about my spare tire to
    it is unhealthy and i can see i am on the path to a hart attic at 40 (34 now) i could loose 35lbs as a goal and probable more on that

has anybody hear lost that type of lbs and HOW

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've been doing the Weight Watchers deal. You're allowed so many points in a day, each food is worth so many points. For example, a quarter pounder from McDs is 16points and I only get 35points in one day. Nice thing is that if you only use 30points one day, you can have 40points the next. So if I'm going out to eat I'll skip a meal the day before.

I've lost 40# since December.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Eat less and excersize more. And pay me the cost of a book for this advice, that way both you and your wallet will be lighter. :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have to lose a few pounds myself .

I would like to do like my friend Tom , he dropped to 200 from 240 in several months . He is just eating what food eats ..... lots of salads and chicken , and working out 4 times a week .

Wish I was more like that .

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    cut down portion size. Nothing bigger than the palm of your hand. skip butter on toast, mayo, cheese on sandwiches, less soda or beer more water. If you do drink soda or beer go light. Most diet sodas have nearly zero calories. When hungry eat fruit.

I went from 260 to 230 this way. I also walk the dog every day and use my total gym not nearly enough :mad:

Good luck!!

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

that's the trick. get yourself an treadmill are start joging it will do wonders. I use my treadmill 3-4 times a week for an 1 hour. I've droped about #60 are so in the past 2 years also stop snackin and most important don't eat late at night. and drink plenty of water.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My sister is a registered dietician and she says losing weight is basically very simple.
    1) do not go on a "diet" of any kind. it won't work and it won't last. You have to just eat good foods and watch your portions. You CAN get into the habit of doing this and it WILL last.

2) losing weight boils down to this: if you take in more calories in a day than you burn you get fat. If you burn more than you take in you burn fat. simple

3) make sure the calories that you take in are "good" calories in that they have good nutritional value. fruits, veg, nuts, etc.

4) excercise- you need it whether you are trying to lose weight or not.

I needed to lose a little (10 lbs. maybe) and she told me this and within one month I had lost 8 lbs. I was not hungry and did not feel like I was on a "diet" at all. In fact, it didn't really seemed that much different. Good luck.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

1. Start by cutting your portions in half. Eat half and wait 20 minutes, the hunger pangs should disappear and you'll have eaten less. Drink a big glass of water when your hungry and before you eat, that kills hunger too and you'll eat a smaller portion.

2. Phase in better foods slowly and try to develop good eating habits you can stick with.

3. Exercise is the devil but it must be done in order to keep weight off. At least get out and walk if possible. BE CONSISTENT or you'll just gain it back. I think consistency is the toughest part, sitting there not wanting to do it and telling yourself you'll do it tomorrow.

4. Take vitamins, if you can get your hands on an Omega 3-6-9 bottle of horsepills take 3 when your hungry, kills the desire to eat for several hours.

5. Kola Nut is another good herb but I wouldn't take it if you have a heart condition.

6. If you can't resist the burger joint just get a plain hamburger or two. Don't eat fries, shakes, or the Big Mac heart attack.

Good luck!

9. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Recently lost 20lb. I just cut calories. I was eating way too many carbohydrates. Love them. I often ate Lean Cuisine dinners, fruit and Yogert. It was easier to count calories with the packaged dinners, fruit or anything with calories labeling. I cut my calories to 1600 a day. How many calories you eat a day to lose weight will vary from person to person, depending on height, build, metabolism, etc. Exercise can be important too. Depending on your metabolism. I didn't need to exercise for myself to lose weight. But it is very important in cardiovascular health. Exercise may also help with your cholesterol and triglycerides, and will reduce your diabetic risk. (related to metabolic syndrome from obesity). Men who carry their weight in the stomach (spare tire) are at higher risk for heath disease than men who carry it all over. If you smoke. Stopping is a huge help. A VERY large portion of my patient population in the Critical Care unit I work in are smokers.
    By the way, you don't need to be grossly overweight, smoke or eat poorly to have a heart attack. I had one 2 years ago. I was only 20 lbs overweight, nonsmoker. However, I had stress, high cholesterol, endothelial disfunction (disease of the inner lining of the blood vessels). It's no fun. It's all good now. :D
    Basically, no special diet secrets will help. Just cut calories and exercise.
    Good luck! :thumb: :thumb:

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm skinny, and from my experiences, all the people I've watched that say they need to lose weight don't change their eating habits. Obviously as some do lose weight, some do change their habits, and it works. It just shows how hard it is. I know lots of people that LIKE to eat. I'm not one of them. I eat when I'm hungry, and when I'm full, I stop eating and thats it for a few hours.

But when we eat, and I see you putting down more food than I, and still going for a desert, somethings wrong.

It is very simple. If you don't eat, you lose weight. There is NO way around that one. You don't want to starve yourself, thats not healthy, but my observations are that people are in general exceedingly lazy anymore (will wait in line or drive around forever to get a parking spot 100 ft closer to a store front, take elevator instead of stairs for a whopping 3 flights) and that if you reduce how much you eat and eat healthier, you WILL lose weight.

I believe exercise is very healthy too, but I can barely motivate even myself to do anything other than take the stairs, walk across a parking lot, or go out and ride my bike. Anything is better than nothing as I look at it. Problem with weight loss is that it takes time and effort, not many are willing to wait for the results.

Hows your cholesterol? That one seems to be something you can very easily use to "quantify" how effective your changes are. I know I'd be happy to see my cholesterol drop, and I know people that have changed their eating just slightly and seen an improvement. Being able to see results is a very good motivator.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm fat and I just accept it.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I second the excersize. I lost 35 pounds in under two months by riding a bike 25 miles per day over one summer. I am starting to put it back on because ive been a slug all winter, so ill be riding again here real soon. Best way i ever lost weight, only problem is sticking to it. I rode rain or shine, i didnt care what the weather was, every day of the week at sunrise.

13. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

These are very good ideas today. Water is very important like stated above.
    High cholesterol is a problem for sure. However, it's the LDL portion of cholesterol thats the problem, not just "total" cholesterol. LDL is the "bad" cholesterol. There are people with "high" cholesterol that actually have lower risk of heart disease than people with "low" cholesterol. It just depends on your ratio of good (HDL) and bad (LDL) lipoproteins, that make up total cholesterol. There are also people with high cholesterol that exercise won't help. My cholesterol changed very little if at all when I exercised or ate less fat. Both my daughter and brother are vegitarians with high cholesterol. All my brothers and sisters, and my children have high cholesterol. :( We require medication to lower it. Omaga 3 fatty acids (fish oil, flax seed, etc) can be very benificial also, to lower your triglycerides, and reduce your risk of diabetes among other things.
    But exercise and reduction of fat in the diet is still very important for most everyone! Good post everyone! :waytogo:

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you're like me running isn't an option, my heavy ass kills my knees, its not good. In highschool i ran 5miles every other day, the past 6 or so years I have sat out alot of my cardio, I'm back at it and a bicycle will do wonders, it works like 60% of your body vs 100% running but until i drop down in wieght my knees won't get the pounding.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a diet that is simple as hell and it works if you have ANY physical activity at all. Just 2 steps.

1) dont eat ANY chips, crackers, cookies or candy. Absolutely zero. Your body doesn't need this crap to live, no matter how yummy they taste.

2) never eat anything within an hour of going to bed. Drink all the water or juices or whatever you want, but dont eat anything solid.

presto. Do that for a while and you'll loose the weight you want, especially if you get up and move around on occassion.

j

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Biking and hiking are the only two forms of exercise I'm able to actually enjoy doing. Can always do situps/crunches while you are sitting in front of the tv. :)

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This works well. Eat food that moves through your stomach quick and you absorb less of it. Also, when you go to WalMart be sure to park as far from the store as possible. This gives good exercise and prevents your ride from getting door dings from other fat a$$es too lazy to walk and thieves are less likely to steal from a vehicle in open sight parked all by itself.

If all else fails, smoke crack.

Just kidding - DON'T really smoke crack!

18. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did the south beach diet. Lost 30# in like 2 months. Now i just excerise and eat way less. Its all about controlling your appetite and being active and not lazy

19. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with most of the guys here eat less and better foods if possible and exersize (treadmill your friend). I was always a heavy guy and then one day I felt sick and threw up alot so i went to the hospital and they ended up telling me im a diebitic around when i was 16. (I used to eat horrible lots of soda and fast food) then after my long hospital stay almost died i came out weighing like 185. (good weight for me lost alot of weight in hospital) . Then over about a 2 year period i kept gainng weight back at my highest i was 280. It was then that i started to watch what i eat and exercise and now I feel great (been doing it for about a year). This morning i weighed myself at 183. So it is possible just got to eat better and exersize. I go to gym 3 to 4 times a week now. Amazing how much better you feel losing weight youll have alot more energy. good luck

Or if ya dont feel motivated to go to the gym work on your truck alot with hand tools. Gets ya moving and doing something.

20. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

As others have suggested, watch what you eat. No sodas, beer, gatorade..this stuff is pure crap. Also layoff white foods: white bread, potatoes, rice. Anything white has been refined with sugar. Sugar raises your insulin levels and promotes fat storage. If you eat sugar it can stop your body from burning fat for up to 6 hours.
    Someone said to cut your portions in half but they have no idea how much you are eating. You need to eat often. Every 3 hours is good. Think of your body like a fire. If you only feed the fire 1 or 2 times a day it only burns hot those 2 times. If you are continually feeding the fire (body) you will raise your metabolism and be able to burn more calories off. You need to keep track of what you eat. There is a free website http://www.fitday.com you can keep track of waht you have each meal. The calories add up a lot faster than you think.

Working out: cardio is not always the BEST thing to lose weight. It does help though. Muscle is the only thing that burns fat. The more muscle you have the more calories and fat you can burn off. For cardio try to do at least 30 minutees worth of whatever...walking, running, crosstraining. Anything you can do continuously for at least those 30 minutes. Your body will continue burning fat at a higher rate for up to an hour after a cardio workout.

If you want to PM me with some body stats (height, weight) what you eat in an average day, activity level, medical problems...I can help.
    My wife has been a certified personal trainer for a few years now and ranked in the Top 5 in the nation for speedskating and I got her into shape before that.
    I've helped some others on here before with good results. I'll get back with you later after work