Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I am wondering about posting pics and Solid Axle Swap info

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 89K1500Chevy, Nov 26, 2002.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how to post pics in the members rides on the new sheet metal area I have a 89 K1500 Chevy and would like to share some pics. I was also wondering about swaping a K5 blazer front solid axle that i found at a junk yard to replace the IFS and i know that i can get a kit from oru but i was wondering if there was another way mabey make brackety and welding it. My dad is an expert welder and im taking a welding class along with my Automotive Technician class from Griffin Tech. If you have any commments or help i would like to hear them Thanks Got Stuck Lately? www.zombieoffroading.8m.net /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was wondering how to post pics in the members rides on the new sheet metal area I have a 89 K1500 Chevy and would like to share some pics.

[/ QUOTE ]
    you need to be a paying member to post pics in the members rides section

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can weld your own brackets up if you want to. All you need to do is get some front springs and bolt them to the axle and then take teh measurements of where the hangers would need to go. Myself, I went with the ORU setup because 700 bucks is not that much when you think of all the engineering work that has been done already for you and you know it's going to work. Not to mention the time that would go into building them.

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I agree with you on buying the kit.I fabbed my own and it took a good bit of time to get everything just right.So unless you enjoy hours of fabrication and engineering like I do buy the kit!I also fabbed a 4 link coil spring setup for the rear and talk about a night mare!It took way longer than the SFA swap!

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Re:Re:Re: I am wondering about posting pics and Solid Axle Swap info

Thanks for the help I think I will buy the kit or just buy a old chevy with the solid axles already on it. We used to have a C20 crew cab 4x4 that we spray painted black and camo.We called it the ugly truck my dad had done some engine work on it and built a big brush guard for it it was a tree's worst nightmare. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I ripped out the IFS on my 88 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif about 2 years ago.Iused a 79 high pinion 44 {ford} at first.I did this all under my shadetree at home and have been very pleased with the results. Iused stock 72 blazer front springs and made a crossover steering link that works well for now. Don't have pics now,but, I will get some to you soon as I can. Have since gone to D60 with no further changes. I moved the axle forward about 1 1/2 inches for tire clearance and run 12.50-38's on 8 inch wheels front with 16 38.5's on 10's rear. Total lift came out about 6 inches and wheels really good /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif will post pictures soon as I figure out how. I'm new to this web stuff.

7. bigd_176

bigd_176 Registered Member

we custom fabbed the brackets on the front of my 93 suburban. it's not too hard but you have a lot of measuring to do!! my front hanger/crossmember is built out of 1/4 inch broke steel and welded (it weighs over 75#) here's some pics and i should have some closeup pics of the front end posted tommorrow!!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif suburban pics