Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I blew a PS low pressure line and.../What is BJ preload?..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Jun 1, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Well, I probably blew the line from having too much return pressure due to the pump mod and running down the highway. My dumb a$$ fault. So I tied all the hydro assist stuff out of the way, capped the steering box off, refilled the res and drove home later that night. That was a slow ride home. Some how I developed DW. I just can't figure it out. I know the DW subject has been beat to death. So I tried checking everything that I've read here on CK5. I have one lower ball joint that is a little loose, not bad though. I removed the axle shims, and reinstalled the sway bar with extensions( so it will bolt up). Tightened every bolt, greased every fitting, and checked every tie rod/ drag link end. I still had DW right at 33 MPH. So I contrary to what the wife wants I hooked the hydro assist back up and good bye DW. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Re: I blew a PS low pressure line and.....

Death wobble bad...hydro good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hydro steering of course, silly /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

...but you still need to set the ball-joint preload on that one side...might as well do the other one while you are at it... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

and just in case Exicutioner is watching:
    "Know and understand ball-joint preload" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. scoutillac

[ QUOTE ]
    "Know and understand ball-joint preload"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well fill me in on what ball joint preload is. I've never heard of it..

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Asside from being an old joke on this site it is very usefull to keep your ball joints from wearing out.

There should NEVER be any play in the ball joints. There should always be some ammount of preload in them.

Shop manuals tell you to take off the tierod and draglink, to attach a spring scale (like one for fish) to where the TRE goes, and to measure the ammount of force it takes to keep the knuckle turning.

I think it is suposed to be something like 25#.

If it is under that spec (like yours) you need to take off that huge (takes a 1-5/16" socket) nut on the top ball joint off, loosen the adjuster that is under the nut then tighten it to (I think) 50 ft*lb, then put the nut back on (to something like 110 ft*lb).

I had a hard time finding the 4-pronged socket for the adjuster so I just made one from an impact socket. I could only find a 1-5/16" socket in 3/4" drive so I also got an adapter to 1/2" drive.

This is in all 3 of the manuals I have...but don't go off my memory /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif find a manual with the all the specs in it or give me some time and I'll scan it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. scoutillac

My dad was trying to tell me that 4 prong adjuster was for adjusting the alignment(sort of like a cam on a Ford). I told him he was full of it because that part isn't a cam shape. Now I know what that if for. HA! OK I will do that. I would greatly appreciate that scanned pages. If you would just pm them to me. I'll cut/paste and print them. I have the sockets for the ball joints. I'll need to make the other socket.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I will scan what I have over the weekend.