Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I bought a train horn yesterday!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IGOR, Nov 4, 2006.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I found a train horn Thursday night on Craigslist - I called Fri morning on it - and the guy still had it - I went and bought it after work - $60

And I can't wipe the smile off my face - this thing is AWESOME!

It is super great at making all the dogs in the neighborhood bark - it makes your ears vibrate it's so loud

The horn is a Nathan P3 train horn - it is identical to the horns on the older Amtrak engines and some of the Norfolk Southern engines on the East Coast - and YES it is a REAL train horn - it is the best!

I can't decide to mount it in my garage - on my pickup - or eventually on the Blazer. For now I'm enjoying playing with it in my garage :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey,

I used to work on the railroad as a conductor. You're gonna hafta put out some serious air pressure to get them as loud as a real locomotive. If you do you are definitely gonna scare the pants of some people! :haha: Nathan 3 chimes are real old, one of the first airhorns diesels used and have been around a while. Keep us updated.

Manny

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definetly mount it on the Blazer:haha: ...The next guy to cut you off will get an earfull.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

:eek: Holy bat dung!! OH my yea can you say lots new toys for blazer? I have a police siren/air horn for my Blazer and you get behind a fool that is like sitting in the road and give it a couple quick taps Arnnnng Arnnnng and man they get r done. If a car starts out several quick taps and the crap their pants works like a charm.

6. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

you should give it about 100 to 125 psi, thats what they get on the trains. it will prolly work on a lower pressure though. those horns sound really nice, like each one is tuned to a music note. the newer ones we use here are louder, but just sound like noise.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

If you go this route... PM me. Maybe we can make a deal. I want REAL train horns for Big Blue.

8. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

Nice find. You got a heck of a deal on that. I am on a search for a train horn as well. As far as the Nathan P3 being the best........hmmmmmm I would say it is second best.:D LOL The one I am searching for is the Nathan K5LA. This is the horn they use on todays trains. These things are the loudest horns you can buy.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nathan-Air-Chime-K5LA-Locomotive-Train-Horn-Airchime-K5_W0QQitemZ180044547537QQihZ008QQcategoryZ95164QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a video of some guys playing with the Nathan K3 which is about the same as what you bought.

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php?pic=42

9. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I showed my wife your find. She said one word "No." In the female to male translation. CL here I come.

That's funny

10. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

yeah i spent money on a set of those crappy car air horns..... it made my truck sound like a little pansy mobile. DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON THOSE THINGS!!!!!

11. IGOR

12. IGOR

That made me LOL.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to hang onto it for now - although I watched an Ebay auction end today for an identical horn - it ended at $600!

10x increase is just fine with me!

And I'm sure I can push more air through this thing - but it is PLENTY loud hooked up straight to my Craftsman compressor @ 150 psi.

I can't imagine this thing any louder - I surprised all of you can't hear it! :D

13. IGOR

Wow - posting while inebriated - GUILTY!

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I want one for the burb . people don't see me for some reason so I need to get their attention :laugh: . I can see myself coming up behind someone at a train crossing and blowing the horn !wwwwwwwwoooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkk :eek1: :haha: :rotfl: .

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What?

:haha:

16. rustyg

rustyg Newbie

Nice find on your horns

I've had alot of friends with nathans on their trucks, so I started looking for some a couple years back. I ended up buying/selling about 8 pair, The cheapest about $330 the most I paid was almost $600. I currently have K3's on my 71 k10, I mounted a 10 gallon tank and a Viair 440 compressor with a 160 p.s.i. switch in my toolbox in the bed. I ran 1/2'' plastic line for volume. I live near some RR tracks and this setup is every bit as loud as the locomotives that go by. I welcome the occasional cut-off or tailgater going around me, It's kind of fun to see how big some peoples eyes can get when they pass by giving the quick hater/maddog stare, Priceless. As with all things practice moderation, I have one friend who thought it funny to scare the s**t out of every man/child/old lady passing by. Some people fail to see the humor of having their molars rattled, one guy followed "G" into the parking lot and the fight was on. We do sneak attacks on "friends" we hide out in the truck and wait for someone to walk near and let 'em rip. The reaction is similar to bieng shocked, fingers clinch, elbows and arms curl in and people duck down as if anticipating the train coming right at them. I've had them a few years now and the novelty has worn off, just an occasional blast to the neighbors.

17. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

i have a set also... good times... but need ta least 90 psi....

18. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

holy cow

its at $484 and didnt meet the reserve, kinda glad i didn't sell 1 of my sets to a buddy of mine , he was offering me $40. for 1 of them!! i have 1 set name and model Leslie S-5T the other is a AirChime K5LA, i also have about 5 sets of 3 trumpets, and3 or 4 single horns, i also have a 118 Decibels-512/625 Hz

19. IGOR

20. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

my wife said just the opposit! I think that is a green light :haha: